Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
This may have already been asked and answered but…

If someone happens upon my lost AirTag (or to be a jerk) and decides to deactivate it and I still recover it later, is it dead now or can I reactivate it since it was tied to my account?

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
It's my understanding that the "deactivation" mechanism is removing the battery. So put a new battery in and it's good to go?

Reactions: TinyChip

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
This is a misnomer, that the person it's traveling with can click a button on their iPhone and turn off the AirTag. That's not the case. Instead their phone will give them instructions on how to remove the battery from the AirTag.

Reactions: ipedro

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
If a tag has been assigned to your phone you cannot remove the battery and simply assign it to another phone. It won’t allow it.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
This is a misnomer, that the person it's traveling with can click a button on their iPhone and turn off the AirTag. That's not the case. Instead their phone will give them instructions on how to remove the battery from the AirTag.
Interesting...

Then to re-activate it is to put a battery in it again. Makes sense.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Wait what? Where is this said? So I’m stuck with the airtags I have I couldn’t even sell them? That can’t be right
You can remove it from your AppleID, just like any other Apple device, and then sell them on. All that was meant was that there's more to it than simply removing the battery and that somehow causing the AirTag to reset, and thus be able to register it with a different account.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Wait what? Where is this said? So I’m stuck with the airtags I have I couldn’t even sell them? That can’t be right
What he said is a thief can not remove YOUR AirTag battery and then register it to himself. Of course you will be able to unpair it to sell or give it to someone else or whatever but you'll need your Apple ID password to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.