Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterjedi747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
If this isn't the right place to ask this question, please just let me know.

Here's the situation:
I own the Mac version of KOTOR, and have downloaded the latest patch (1.0.3d beta) so that it is playable on my Intel Mac. However, I would very much like to be able to NOT have to insert the disc every single time (hopefully keep it tucked away somewhere safe instead). I don't really want to download a cracked version (although I checked to be sure, and can't find one anyway), and creating a complete disc image would just take up another several GB that I really don't want to lose.

So I would like to create a mini (or "gutted") disk image that I can use to play the game. And I know that it's possible, because I have one (that someone else made) for Warcraft 3. Another person told me that "I made one using Disk Image, simply stopping the copying process after a short 10 seconds. So basically Disk Image only copied just the name of the CD, and some information..." But I can't figure out how to make one for myself.

I insert the disc, open Disc Utility, select the disc, and click "New Image" (using the standard settings) to begin making the disc image. But then the only way to stop the process is to click "Cancel", which then deletes the entire unfinished image. I also tried duplicating the disk image while it is in the process of being created, and then canceling the original (so that the copy remains), but then I get a message that "the following disk image failed to mount" because is has "no mountable file systems".

Can someone tell me what exactly I'm doing wrong? Is Disk Utility the right application to be using for this, or do I need another program, and if so what?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.