Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmeccia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
I'm having a hard time getting two hours of video on to a DVD disc (like advertised). Right now I have a 90min m2v video and with it's 1GB aif file, it won't fit onto a 4.27GB DVD-R! Im using DVD Studio Pro 1.5. Does anyone know if 2.0 recognizes anything other than m2v? Can I use Divx compression to reduce the size?
Thanks

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Can DVD Studio Pro recognize anything other than MPEG2?

Originally posted by jmeccia
I'm having a hard time getting two hours of video on to a DVD disc (like advertised). Right now I have a 90min m2v video and with it's 1GB aif file, it won't fit onto a 4.27GB DVD-R! Im using DVD Studio Pro 1.5. Does anyone know if 2.0 recognizes anything other than m2v? Can I use Divx compression to reduce the size?
Thanks

What is an m2v file? You can use Quicktime Pro to compress the movie into an MPEG-2 that is small enough to fit on the blank DVD. Or you can use any other program that can create MPEG-2 files (Cleaner, Compressor, etc.,) and then import them into DVD SP.

Lethal

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Re: Can DVD Studio Pro recognize anything other than MPEG2?

Thanks

DVDSP2 recognizes anyfile that quicktime does. Once you add it to DVDSP2 it begins converting it to MPEG-2 on the fly.

jmeccia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
Re: Re: Can DVD Studio Pro recognize anything other than MPEG2?

Originally posted by LethalWolfe
What is an m2v file?...
Lethal

.m2v is the file that Final Cut exports when MPEG2 is selected. So it's a MPEG2 file. Are there various levels of MPEG2 compressions? (i.e. Is the file that DVDSP2 creates any different than the file FCE created?)

*FCE = Final Cut Express

Thanks!

jmeccia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
A friend of mine has studio 2.0. I went to her house with my firewire drive and tried to use it. First of all, it's a lot different than 1.5, but after some time I got the gist of it. I used DIVA to convert my 4.1 GB 90min movie to a 555.7MB Mov file! Thats a great program, excellent quality too! However, it cropped the image and stretched the frame.. I believe that's just a setting error on my behalf.
Anyway, I found that DVDSP2 doesnt recognize .m2v (which is all that 1.5 would recognize) but it did recognize the .mov file. So, im thinking this is great, I'll be able to fit the whole thing on the DVD since it's only 555 MB. Nope, it still said total space required was around 5.1 GB (larger than a single layer DVD-r).

Help?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Re: Re: Can DVD Studio Pro recognize anything other than MPEG2?

.m2v is the file that Final Cut exports when MPEG2 is selected. So it's a MPEG2 file. Are there various levels of MPEG2 compressions? (i.e. Is the file that DVDSP2 creates any different than the file FCE created?)

*FCE = Final Cut Express

Thanks!

DVD quality MPEG-2 is between 1 and 10Mbps. The lower the bit rate the lower the image quailty and the lower the file size. You usually don't want to go above 8Mbps though because bit rates that high can cause some DVD players to choke.

Lethal

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Why not use APack and get that aif file A LOT smaller (like 80-90%) in AC3 format?

SumDumGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2002
Loserville
Definitely use APack to convert that huge AIFF to AC3. That will safe a ton of room. What bitrate was the M2V compressed at? Anymore than 5 or 6 is probably overkill. And use a good MPEG2 compressor like Bitvice (higher quality at lower bitrates) instead of Compressor for results that are far superior to Compressor or Cleaner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.