Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

have you got the same?

• Total voters

Etg1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2018
United Kingdom
Dear users,

Hope you can help.

This is my 3rd XS in the span of two months. I had first one replaced due to having the same issue. Upon closer inspection, I could clearly see the gap between the frame and the screen, could fit a paper in there and it would go in quite deep. After unexpectedly useless “repair” process of replacing the screen, I was given a replacement that had a screen “dab”. Directly afterwards, received this device and only now have noticed the same issue on this device. It starts on the right top corner, and if you insert a paper in and move it slightly , I can get it without any force down to 1/3 of the device’s length on the right side. Please bear in bind that both first and this device were in protected in the cases and were never dropped nor submerged under water in any way.

Can someone please advice, if they have the same issue and whether it is normal or not. Back in the apple store, I was told it’s the first time they’ve seen such issue ,but how reliable is that I don’t know.

Thank you

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
My max has it, and my x had it. I actually swapped out my x 4 times because of this, until Apple told me that’s just the normal design tolerances or something of the sort. Even sent them videos and pictures of it.

Reactions: Etg1

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yes, there are variations between the display and casing where it’s completely even, it doesn’t really affect the functionality the phone, but the water resistance _could_ be compromised. If it’s severe enough, Apple will replace it, as others have already returned phones for similar issues.

Etg1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2018
United Kingdom
Thank you all very much for the responses. In case of replacing the device, I was told that I will have to go through the repair procedure yet again, and if that’s not fixed, get a replacement. Is there any way of avoiding this quite frankly useless process in my case and request a replacement straight away?

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010
Thank you all very much for the responses. In case of replacing the device, I was told that I will have to go through the repair procedure yet again, and if that’s not fixed, get a replacement. Is there any way of avoiding this quite frankly useless process in my case and request a replacement straight away?
If you order from Apple online, I remember they would send out a new unit when the courier had picked it up from my address (e.g same day).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You can request an express replacement, which will be shipped to you within two business days, and if you have Applecare Plus, they won’t charge you the $30 shipping fee.

Etg1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2018
United Kingdom
You can request an express replacement, which will be shipped to you within two business days, and if you have Applecare Plus, they won’t charge you the $30 shipping fee.

When I’ve contacted apple yesterday, was told that if I were to use the shipping method ,I’d have to send the iPhone first,for repair , and that’s the only way to do it. Do you mind sharing how the express replacement works and if it does work the same in the UK? Also , are the replacement iPhones new or refurbished as people suggest in the forum? I’d be grateful.
If you order from Apple online, I remember they would send out a new unit when the courier had picked it up from my address (e.g same day).
Are there certain conditions for such easy way of replacement? It surprises me that consumers with faulty goods must prove that it’s actually faulty.

I have an appointment this coming Saturday at another apple store,yet I bet I’ll be given the same ‘repaired’ device with replaced screen as the last time with glue sticking out of the frame and wider gaps,before I can request a replacement device.

Thank you all for participating in advice

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
When I’ve contacted apple yesterday, was told that if I were to use the shipping method ,I’d have to send the iPhone first,for repair , and that’s the only way to do it. Do you mind sharing how the express replacement works and if it does work the same in the UK? Also , are the replacement iPhones new or refurbished as people suggest in the forum? I’d be grateful.

There are two ways of having your phone repaired:

1.) You send your phone into them, which they assume you have a back up phone that you can use awhile they decide either replace or repair your phone.

2.) Apple sends you an express replacement phone for $30.00 (If you have AppleCare Plus, they won’t charge the express fee), then you send your defective phone back to them, assuming that there is no other incidental damage to the phone, they won’t charge you for the device. However, they will place a hold on your credit card before they send you the replacement phone, and then the hold will be removed once they receive your defective phone and determine the phone is not damage beyond what you’re claiming due to the defect.

Etg1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2018
United Kingdom
There are two ways of having your phone repaired:

1.) You send your phone into them, which they assume you have a back up phone that you can use awhile they decide either replace or repair your phone.

2.) Apple sends you an express replacement phone for $30.00 (If you have AppleCare Plus, they won’t charge the express fee), then you send your defective phone back to them, assuming that there is no other incidental damage to the phone, they won’t charge you for the device. However, they will place a hold on your credit card before they send you the replacement phone, and then the hold will be removed once they receive your defective phone and determine the phone is not damage beyond what you’re claiming due to the defect.

Thank you for the explanation. Will see what the apple can do at the appointment,if not much , will resort to the AppleCare option.

Thank you!

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Just out of curiosity what was the first two letters in serial number of the units with gap?
Was there also clicking / popping sounds when you pressed or twisted casing slightly?

Etg1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2018
United Kingdom
Just out of curiosity what was the first two letters in serial number of the units with gap?
Was there also clicking / popping sounds when you pressed or twisted casing slightly?
In terms of the serial number ,it began with the G0. But no sounds of such kind, it appears rigid and sturdy.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.