Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AthenaNoctua

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
I have 2 accounts set up on my MBP and I need to be able to use Handoff/Universal Control with both, preferably simultaneously, the target device is a 2020 iPad Pro. Both are running the latest versions of their respective OS (just updated my iPad this evening).

So, here's the skinny: I have HO/UC working fine in my primary account on my Mac. However, if I then switch to my secondary account, I can only set my iPad up as a supplementary display, I can't use HO/UC. I need to be able to control my iPad with my Mac's trackpad as I can with my primary account (it saves on cleaning. There are also some games that just seem to work better with a trackpad).

Thinking it was because I was still logged into A1, I logged out. Logged back into A2, still no dice. Settings in A2 are identical to A1, leading me to believe that HO is a one account deal - is that the case...?

Also, if I'm logged into A2, and then switch back to A1 using FUS, it breaks HO/UC in A1. However, if I log out of A2, and then switch back to A1, everything's cool.

Is this how HO/UC is supposed to function...? I can't find anything in Apple's KB which states that it's a one-account-only deal. I can't think that the scenario described above is going to be unique to me.

So, if none of the above makes sense, I'm basically asking 3 questions:

1. Can I use HO/UC with more than one account on the same Mac?
2. Should I be able to use HO/UC in an account where HO/UC is enabled after switching to it using FUS?
3. If the answers to 1 and 2 are yes and yes, could anyone shed any light on why I can't...?

Thanking you kindly...

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
HO/UC is linked to your AppleID. Are you signed into the same AppleID with both user accounts on your Mac? I suspect one account is linked to your AppleID and the other is just a local account - hence it cannot run HO/UC. If you are using two different accounts on your computer, each logged into a separate AppleID, then you would need to switch AppleIDs on your iPad so the AppleID matches whichever user account is active at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.