Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chabig

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
I have six Hue spotlights in my kitchen that are grouped in HomeKit. I'd like to add new scene containing just one of the six bulbs, but I can't figure out how to get control of just one bulb. Once grouped, HomeKit wants to always keep them as a group. Is there a way to control just the one bulb without ungrouping them all?

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Hue lights can also be controlled using their own app. I know, that kind of defeats the purpose of having everything compatible with HomeKit. Personally though, I prefer the Hue app for controlling Hue lights, and I have them throughout my house.

It also occurs to me that it also might be possible to have any particular bulb included in more than one group. That is just an idea I had while writing this, not something I've tried. But if it can be done, then that would be another way to accomplish what you want to do.

chabig

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Thanks for the ideas. It appears that once an accessory is in a group, there is no way to make it part of another group or have HomeKit control it individually. But since I just want to control one bulb, I gave it a proper name in the Hue app and now I can ask for it to be turned on and off. But I can only control it's on/off state. I can't use it in a scene.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
My impression is that there is a great deal of flexibility available, both with the HomeKit app, and when using Hue's own app. But I have never taken the time to experiment with either, or learn how to make full use of the controls and options available.

Do you have a Hue Bridge, or are you using the (simpler) Hue app, or HomeKit app? You may need to have a Hue Bridge to accomplish what you desire.

The Hue website FAQs have some topics that might be helpful to you:

- How do I set one light in a room to a specific color and/or brightness?
- Can I assign one light to multiple Rooms?

They also have Facebook and other social network channels that might give you the opportunity to ask questions or enter into a discussion with others who are Hue experts.

chabig

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
I have the bridge. Thanks for the link to the FAQ. In the Hue app I can add individual lights to zones. Unfortunately, HomeKit doesn't support Hue's zones. So it looks like I've arrived at the best solution for this one bulb, which is to control it by name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.