Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I have a Jabra speaker/mic connected to my MacMini to use on conference calls/zooms but recently died. Can the HomePod mini replace it as a speaker AND microphone? I know I can use it as an AirPlay speaker but unclear how it is as a hands free mic.

If not a total solution, my Logitech Camera has a mic but I never use it. Does anyone else have this setup and can give some real-life experience reviews?

Thanks you!

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
You can, but the experience wouldn't be as good as the Jabra. There is an audio delay when AirPlaying to the HomePod mini, so audio wouldn't be synced up to video or other visual actions. Secondly, there's no way to use the HomePod's mic on the Mac. You would have to use the mic from your webcam.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYCValkyrie

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
HomePods have WiFi, they do not use BlueTooth. There is a lag that the system tried to sync and it works most of the time. You can use the HomePod & audio mike for audio/Facetime calls.
However, the wired connection would still be preferable in my book because it is less troublesome.
I have used HomePods as speakers and the Logitech mike for zoom.

Reactions: NYCValkyrie

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
Thanks you both for these replies. I tried it w/ my Logi mic and I sounded like I was in a tunnel for some reason. Guess I will just keep the Jabra for Zooms and the HomePods as regular speakers in another room. I got a really good deal on them so might as well keep them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.