Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartyBeez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
The Hague, NL
Hi all,

I'm considering a HomePod for our study (which gets used a lot more these days). I had bought a JBL Tuner to use as a speaker, but the sound was too loud when dialed down to one bar. I'm looking for easy integration, a simple way to play radio stations, etc.

In my quiet working place I need the music to be really really soft, so I only hear softly it when all else is quiet, and it does not disturb MS Team calls and such.

How soft can HomePod go?

Thanks for any advice.

Marty

Meuti

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2019
You can tell Siri to set the volume to 1 percent, which is almost unhearable for me. So I'd say you could use it for what you need.

Reactions: Arran

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if Apple Music is not your first choice for streaming, then HomePod probably isn't for you.

Take a look at Sonos also, the only thing you loose is siri (but you gain Alexa and google, only one enabled at a time though) The newer versions have airplay also.
Sonos can access Apple Music, as well as numerous others services (Spotify, Tidal, Pandora, Deezer, and so on)

with sonos, The music is directly played on the speaker, so you don't have to worry about airplay.
You can control it from any app (iOS, Android, Mac, Windows).
Meaning, you can start something playing from any of the apps, and then modify the playlist, pause or change volume from any other app.

With HomePod you play something from your phone, either directly on the homepod or through airplay, or use Siri, you have no control from your Mac.
actually Unless you are airplaying from your Mac, you have no control over the HomePod at anytime from your Mac. But then you also get all Mac audio from the HomePod, which if you're doing team calls, might not be the best.
you'd need to grab your phone, use the touch controls on the HomePod, or Siri.

Sonos is also a bit cheaper, either $179 or $199, depending on if you want voice assistant or not.
you can sometimes save a few bucks when buying multiples.

Ikea also has good sonos options (no voice assistant), bookshelf version for $99, or another that's in the base of a lamp for $179.
I've never heard one, but they've gotten good reviews, both online and from an audiophile friend of mine.

HomePod might have this, but not sure
Sonos will let you set max volume per zone, but the volume sliders in the apps still go to 100. Giving you much finer control over volume.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
The HomePod can play quietly, but I find that at low volumes, the bass is excessive. The HP does have a nice warm sound to it, but it is bass heavy. I have to use my conventional stereo at low volumes to avoid waking up family members.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.