Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
What if I'm in another room and want HomePod Siri to create a memo on my iPhone?

When I call Siri in the same room where both of them are, which Siri answers first?

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
Try it....and find out what it can and cant do.

If multiple Siri devices are in the same room and all of them hear your command, then usually the HomePod will reply.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I don't have a HP yet ;) Hence the post.

That's weird that HomePod Siri will answer first.

What if I want to create a memo? And what if I'm in the same room as HP but not iPhone?

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
I don't mind if HomePod answers the query....in fact it would not bother me at all which Siri device answered the query...as long as it was doing as I wanted.
The only exception to that would be if I asked Siri to play music.....then I would want it to play on the HomePod and not my iPhone/iPad/laptop.

As for the memo thing....I have never done that, never needed to and don't think I would either...for that I am old school and would just pick up my iPhone, open notes and type whatever I needed to do.

And when you say "memo" is this something you would have in the "notes" app? or somewhere else?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
When you ask Siri on the HomePod to add something to the grocery list, depending on who’s speaking (with the HomePod’s voice recognition feature), it will indeed add that item to that particular person’s grocery list. HomePod usually takes precedence in the home when invoking Siri. There’s a new feature now with iOS 14 that if you ask for directions and it was the HomePod that answered the query, the directions to that place will automatically show up as a suggestion in the Maps app.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ok, so just tested this out for ya... I asked Siri on the HomePod using two different words:

“Hey Siri, create a note, go to the grocery store”

and

“Hey Siri, create a memo, go to the grocery store”

Siri (HomePod) replied, “Ok, Jon, I’ve created a note, go to the grocery store.”

This was the result (on my iPhone):

Attachments

• 9D031095-19A5-4540-A1AC-2C4073EB9296.jpeg
    9D031095-19A5-4540-A1AC-2C4073EB9296.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 227
Reactions: Skika

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
Ok, so both commands were completed and saved in the "notes" app....that is good to know.

What other things do people ask siri to "remind" them to do? Curious to what folks do, as I do not think I use everything to it's full extent.....things like Siri, shortcuts, automations I feel I could use a lot more but don't.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ok, so both commands were completed and saved in the "notes" app....that is good to know.

What other things do people ask siri to "remind" them to do? Curious to what folks do, as I do not think I use everything to it's full extent.....things like Siri, shortcuts, automations I feel I could use a lot more but don't.

Search for a creator named Shane Whatley on YouTube. He has some great tutorial videos using the HomePod. His focus is on HomeKit and he’s a genius with Shortcuts and automations.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
I don't use Siri to make notes (probably because I don't really think about that), but I sometimes ask her to "remind me when I get home". It mostly works. Although a couple of months ago she reminded me when I got home...about four days later. I had been home and away a dozen times in between.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.