Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I have a 2 TB Apple Airport Time Capsule (A1470). If I do NOT plug the Time Capsule into the wall outlet and just connect it to my Macbook Pro using a double ended USB cable, will I be able to see the TC on the desktop of my Macbook Pro and access it just like I could with any other external hard drive? And if a double ended USB cable won't work, then what about an ethernet cable? (I don't own a double ended USB cable or ethernet cable yet but if this works then I will order one today.)

Last edited:

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
A USB cable of any sort will definitely not work.

An Ethernet cable should work, provided that you do plug the TC into the wall outlet and it is in working condition. The TC’s drive should then appear as a network drive.

Alternatively, you could open up the TC and remove the 3.5” HDD inside. (Find some good instructions if you want to preserve a working TC! Ifixit.com probably has them.) Put the drive in an inexpensive USB enclosure to read the drive. You will need a powered enclosure because it is a 3 1/2“ hard disk drive.

Reactions: magentawave

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
A USB cable of any sort will definitely not work.

An Ethernet cable should work, provided that you do plug the TC into the wall outlet and it is in working condition. The TC’s drive should then appear as a network drive.

Alternatively, you could open up the TC and remove the 3.5” HDD inside. (Find some good instructions if you want to preserve a working TC! Ifixit.com probably has them.) Put the drive in an inexpensive USB enclosure to read the drive. You will need a powered enclosure because it is a 3 1/2“ hard disk drive.

What is the point of removing and installing the TC's HDD into a different powered enclosure when it will still require to be plugged into 110V AC?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.