Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi guys,

So lately i've been leaving the lid on my MBP open (at home) as I go to either work and/or school for the day. I stay logged in, even though the screen itself is on and requires a password. But as I said, I'm logged in on my MBP that's at home.

I've done this because it allows me to access any file on my MBP from either my iPad or iPod Touch...with LogMeIn. Aside, I've heard there are an array of apps for the iPad that allows you to stream any movie to the iPad, even though the movie in question is actually located on your Mac. So long as your Mac is turned on and are logged in; i.e. without the Mac eventually going to sleep.

I'm wondering if the same could be achieved even with the lid of my MBP closed?

I ask this because I have a 3 year old at home that likes to touch anything with a screen and freak out he'll see my MBP and accidentally tip it off my desk table. The times I've seen my little one at home and my MBP off (w/ lid closed), he won't even go near my MBP.

I'm wondering if with the lid closed, if I can still have my MBP "on" and be logged in, even though the lid is closed and is not really being used.

I'm really hoping this is an easy solution. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca

Thank you so much.

I was going to ask the difference between the 2, however under the FAQ section of InsomniaT it lists the differences. It seems InsomniaT is a bit newer, considering its been rewritten for SL and both 32 & 64-bit. Aside, it seems InsomniaT has a Sys. Prefs. Pane.

I think i'll go w/ InsomniaT, but may test out both.

Finally, one more important question:

Can this mess up my MBP? Any harm or potential problems/issues I should be aware of?

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
No, it's quite safe.

Oh! One more thing: When the lid is closed, does the screen itself still stay on? I would imagine this would lessen the life of the screen, however am sure the people at InsomniaT would've thought of this already...

Thank you so much for you're help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Oh! One more thing: When the lid is closed, does the screen itself still stay on? I would imagine this would lessen the life of the screen, however am sure the people at InsomniaT would've thought of this already...
Your screen's life is long enough, you don't need to worry about it. Barring any defects or accidents, your screen will most likely outlive your need for your Mac.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Stay away from InsomniaT, I just tried it and it screwed mine up hardcore. Could not open anything, froze on shutdown, froze chrome and safari. No uninstall script or anything to remove it. Ran computer up to 216F.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Stay away from InsomniaT, I just tried it and it screwed mine up hardcore. Could not open anything, froze on shutdown, froze chrome and safari. No uninstall script or anything to remove it. Ran computer up to 216F.

So what did you do?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Stay away from InsomniaT, I just tried it and it screwed mine up hardcore. Could not open anything, froze on shutdown, froze chrome and safari.
There must have been something wrong with your installation or another factor involved. InsomniaT will not cause problems under normal circumstances. Yours is a very isolated case, or there would be plenty of similar experiences being posted, which there aren't.
No uninstall script or anything to remove it.
The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
I searched and I found another person with the same problems...use insomniax

Well once I was able to get into the computer and do something I went into Finder and deleted everything that had "insomniat" in it. Thanks for posting the link but im not new to this, the download was supposed to include an uninstaller....yes I went into customize and installed it.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I've gone ahead and downloaded both. I'm not sure why...

I'll most likely need to begin to implement either of these two apps in a week when I get my iPad 2, but am so anxious I decided to ask now.

I'm currently ordering accessories online. :p

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.