Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
I have an older car (2007). Is there an aftermarket product I can get installed to add CarKey capabilities to it?

If the feature is only available for brand new BMWs, that kind of undermines its usefulness.

Thank you,

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I have an older car (2007). Is there an aftermarket product I can get installed to add CarKey capabilities to it?

If the feature is only available for brand new BMWs, that kind of undermines its usefulness.

Thank you,
Right now it’s BMW only. I’d not hold your breath for anything aftermarket.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
It probably involves a ton of electronics and connections to "mechanical" things such as locks for availability on cars that don't have all that built in accessible from an app or key pods that don't have to be taken out of pocket.

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
Thank you for the info.

I’m suddenly finding myself really disappointed in this feature. I mean, it sounds really cool, but I’m not really into BMWs, and even if I were, I’m reluctant to buy a brand new car. The way I see it, it’s almost double the price, and as soon as you buy it, it becomes “used” anyway.

Not trying to discourage other people from making their own decisions, but it seems like it could take almost ten years for this feature to be useful for me.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
BMW always seems like it is the first one to get the latest goodies when it comes to this. If I remember right, CarPlay was advertised on a BMW? Correct me if I’m wrong. But it didn’t take terribly long for the rest of the manufacturers to follow. Now, my lowly Civic (love it) has Carplay and I use it all the time.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
There will be no retrofitting with this feature. It will end up being a good selling point for new models.

China: Hold my beer

It probably involves a ton of electronics and connections to "mechanical" things such as locks for availability on cars that don't have all that built in accessible from an app or key pods that don't have to be taken out of pocket.

Not really. It all boils down to a simple relay for the power door locks. You can also send a RF signal like a wireless remote. If you have a mechanical ignition switch, you can tie into those wires. The older your car is, the easier it is.

They have passive keyless entry retrofits. I personally wouldn't use them due to safety and security concerns, but they exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.