Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
Hey everyone, I own a Surface Book (would've bought a MacBook but at the time they were old as ****) and it's been having some issues

I've had issues with the device since I purchased it, and it died down mostly until recently, where the screen freaks out completely (software), and the rubber pads on the bottom are coming off, both of them

Is it reasonable to ask for a full refund? If so maybe tips on how I should go about it or certain things to say

At this point I don't want this computer anymore, and would love to go to a MacBook Pro

TL;DR The Surface Book is a POS and I want my money back

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I think maybe you got a lemon as plenty of Surface Book owners are very happy with the machine.

How long have you had it? If more than 30-days then I doubt you'd be able to get a refund but you can always try.

Ask MS to escalate your issue to the next level and see where that goes. As a last option, you might be able to get a replacement then sell it to fund a MacBook Pro purchase.

You can also file a complaint with the BBB and the CA Attorney General. The BB would probably be the most helpful in this situation though.

Good luck!

Queen6

macrumors G4
Alternatively my own hard used Surface Book has been perfect since day one. I get your anger equally they are not all bad, you can very easily suffer the same fate under Apple. Try a clean install if it's just software, as for the rubber feet speak with Microsoft politely or just apply some adhesive.

If you have everything documented and depending on the consumer laws you may be in a position to ask for a replacement or refund, however sounds like you've owned it a good while so odds are your in for a repair...

Q-6

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
I think maybe you got a lemon as plenty of Surface Book owners are very happy with the machine.

How long have you had it? If more than 30-days then I doubt you'd be able to get a refund but you can always try.

Ask MS to escalate your issue to the next level and see where that goes. As a last option, you might be able to get a replacement then sell it to fund a MacBook Pro purchase.

You can also file a complaint with the BBB and the CA Attorney General. The BB would probably be the most helpful in this situation though.

Good luck!
What would the BBB do? And def had it longer than 30 days, but I wouldn't expect a $1500 machine to present issues this "early" on

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The BBB resolves complaints. MS won't want a complaint that's not cleared up. You'd be surprised the power the BBB has over companies and getting things resolved.

I used them in the past with a similar situation (different company) and after months of dealing with the company, I filed BBB and CA Attorney General complaints. After 2 weeks the BBB had it resolved and I was offered, and accepted, a 100% refund of the purchase price. I did have to mail the item back but it was resolved quickly.

Make sure you have records of all contacts with MS like emails, chat transcripts, repair records ect..

Reactions: Queen6

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
How long have you had it? You never said. I would go to the Microsoft Store and talk to them and see what they say. Many people love this machine so either you have a lemon or maybe you've abused it?

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
How long have you had it? You never said. I would go to the Microsoft Store and talk to them and see what they say. Many people love this machine so either you have a lemon or maybe you've abused it?
Little over a year, which is a while but in my opinion I don't think a device should have problems like this after this short time

and no I haven't abused it, it literally never leaves the house, and it's never come into contact with liquid

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
Hey everyone, I own a Surface Book (would've bought a MacBook but at the time they were old as ****) and it's been having some issues

I've had issues with the device since I purchased it, and it died down mostly until recently, where the screen freaks out completely (software), and the rubber pads on the bottom are coming off, both of them

Is it reasonable to ask for a full refund? If so maybe tips on how I should go about it or certain things to say

At this point I don't want this computer anymore, and would love to go to a MacBook Pro

TL;DR The Surface Book is a POS and I want my money back

You are a bit vague about the issues here.
I can only distill 2 problems from your original post:
- a software problem or a problem with a graphic driver which causes your screen to misbehave.
- a problem with the rubber feet.

Also I understand that you have this device for over a year now.

- The software problem is easily fixed by resetting, updating and or reinstalling Windows. This could also happen with any Apple device. Go to a Microsoft store or call their helpdesk and they are happy to help you with that.
- The rubber feet coming off should not happen, so you could ask Microsoft about that too. This is the only real hardware problem you have, one that seems easily fixable.

Then you say:
"At this point I don't really want it anymore.". It seems that the truth comes out here.

"Is it reasonable to ask for a full refund?". If you are only experiencing the problems mentioned above and already have the device for over a year: of course not.

"TL;DR The Surface Book is a POS and I want my money back".
It seems you simply don't want the Surface Book anymore. It seems it's a POS in your eyes because you regret not buying a Mac in the first place.

Can you get a full refund from Microsoft for your own disappointment or for your own buying decision that you regret now? Of course not.

Would Apple give you a full refund in the same situation? Of course not.

Last edited:

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
You are a bit vague about the issues here.
I can only distill 2 problems from you original post:
- a software problem or a problem with a graphic driver which causes your screen to misbehave.
- a problem with the rubber feet.

Also I understand that you have this device for over a year now.

- The software problem is easily fixed by resetting, updating and or reinstalling Windows. This could also happen with any Apple device. Go to a Microsoft store or call their helpdesk and they are happy to help you with that.
- The rubber feet coming off should not happen, so you could ask Microsoft about that too. This is the only real hardware problem you have, one that seems easily fixable.

Then you say:
"At this point I don't really want it anymore.". It seems that the truth comes out here.

"Is it reasonable to ask for a full refund?". If you are only experiencing the problems mentioned above and already have the device for over a year: of course not.

"TL;DR The Surface Book is a POS and I want my money back".
It seems you simply don't want the Surface Book anymore. It seems it's a POS in your eyes because you regret not buying a Mac in the first place.

Can you get a full refund from Microsoft for your own disappointment or for your own buying decision that you regret now? Of course not.

Would Apple give you a full refund in the same situation? Of course not.

After reading more details from the OP I have to agree with everything you said. I can't see MS offering anything in terms of a refund. What they might do is offer an out of warranty repair but I really can't see them going much further than that unless it's already been repaired a few times and there is a boat load of email and / or chat records in hand.

Reactions: AndyMacAndMic

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

I don't know what MS's replacement policy is but Apple has (or had) a 3 strikes rule. If a machine required the same repair 3 times then Apple replaces the product with whatever the current equivalent is. I don't believe a full refund is an option though. It's not like a car which fall's under the Lemon Law and the manufacturer is required by law to by back the car.

Best thing you can do is take it to a MS store and plead your case. I really can't see them do anything for you except maybe offer you a courtesy discount on a new machine -- not that you'd want one. You've owned for over a year.

That said, check with the credit card you bought it with to see if it has extended warranty. Most do. Get it fixed n/c and then sell it. Take the proceeds and buy whatever you want to replace it with.

Reactions: AndyMacAndMic

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/08/10/consumer-reports-microsoft-surface/

A report to back this up? Although Microsoft gave a statement back which said otherwise, but any company would do that? Idk, hard to say whats the truth

And to respond to above, yes I really wish I had purchased a MacBook and I still want one; but I’ve had many issues with my Book, not just saying one small software glitch and now I want a refund, the problems I’ve had with this device are ridiculous

And since this post, a new one has come up: the screen and base don’t recognize each other sometimes!

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/08/10/consumer-reports-microsoft-surface/

A report to back this up? Although Microsoft gave a statement back which said otherwise, but any company would do that? Idk, hard to say whats the truth

And to respond to above, yes I really wish I had purchased a MacBook and I still want one; but I’ve had many issues with my Book, not just saying one small software glitch and now I want a refund, the problems I’ve had with this device are ridiculous

And since this post, a new one has come up: the screen and base don’t recognize each other sometimes!

Disappointing, equally my own Surface Book remains to be a solid work horse. That said the facts are what they are, and for Microsoft to address...

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
and now I want a refund
The odds are extremely small in convincing MS to give you a refund. You may get a newer machine out of this, but cash back - that's not going to happen.

Not for nothing, but my SurfaceBook has been rock solid, I know that doesn't help you and its a bummer :(

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.