Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zowenso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
MA
Hello. I have a 2020 iMac and I have 3 different users accounts on it, me, my wife and daughter. I back my iPhone up when logged into my account. Can my wife back up her iPhone when logged into her account and not have issues with my back up? Will hers over write mine? Also, if her phone has more gigs than my mac, I assume that matters? Thanks.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Every iPhone backup to my knowledge should stand on its own especially if you’re already set up with individual user accounts on that Mac.
You can try the backup of your wife’s phone on her account. Not every item is necessarily part of the backup so it may still work.

Reactions: zowenso

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Backups done while logged in a User Account are stored within that User Account…so they're completely separate from backups done in other User Accounts.

Additionally, backups done on two or more different iPhones can be stored in one User Account and one will not affect the other(s). To use one of the backups to restore an iPhone the proper security for that backup has to be known.

Reactions: zowenso

zowenso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
MA
Every iPhone backup to my knowledge should stand on its own especially if you’re already set up with individual user accounts on that Mac.
You can try the backup of your wife’s phone on her account. Not every item is necessarily part of the backup so it may still work.
Thank you!!

zowenso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
MA
Backups done while logged in a User Account are stored within that User Account…so they're completely separate from backups done in other User Accounts.

Additionally, backups done on two or more different iPhones can be stored in one User Account and one will not affect the other(s). To use one of the backups to restore an iPhone the proper security for that backup has to be known.
Thank you!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.