Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpcollins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
My wife wanted to buy a song on iTunes for our graduating granddaughter and burn a CD on my MacBook for her but it won’t burn for whatever reason.

Is there a way she can pay for a song but have it downloaded onto our granddaughter’s iPhone?

I told my wife to just give Savannah $1.29 and let her download it herself but that didn’t go over very well. ? Thanks.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
If you set up family sharing with your grandchildren this should do the trick.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
You probably need to troubleshoot why your Macbook couldn't burn a CD, but that's another problem.

Easiest: Yes, just give her the money and have her buy it herself. You can also buy iTunes gift card and give that instead.
What Apple wants you to do: Family sharing, like the previous poster. However, this adds other complications (eg. all accounts must be from the same region, etc). And is overkill for a one time gift.

What the geeks would do: All iTunes music purchases are DRM free. Your wife can buy the song (if she likes it too), download it on your Mac/PC, find the file, send the file to your granddaughter, and then she can upload it to her iPhone through iTunes/Mac.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
1. Send a gift from the iTunes Store
2. Family Sharing - I wouldn't recommend this unless you want to keep the accounts linked forever.
3. You really should be able to burn a CD. Something is going wrong on your end. Apple doesn't block this.
4. Transfer the file via a USB flash drive to the machine that your granddaughter's iphone syncs to (if there is one). iTunes music isn't DRM protected anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.