Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
Since iOS 9.1, 9.2 full jailbreak isn't available yet, and apple are not signing iOS 9.0.2 anymore, can I find a (new) iPhone/iPad device in retail stores that are still shipped with iOS 9.0 / 9.0.2?

If so, how can I tell what's the iOS version the device is shipped with (on apple's site it just says "iOS 9")?

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
You'd have the same luck with playing the lottery..... I mean it's possible that somewhere in the world some store may still be sitting on stock from from when they were released running 9 still. But based on sales since then, hell no. You'll never be able to find one. Interesting enough, I asked a store rep back in the day for a device running the oldest firmware, (this was back in iOS 6/I4S days) And he was able to check inventory and locate a device for me.... Probably ran an inventory check on when stock came, then pulled a phone out of that lot and we got lucky. But it's been too long since 9 dropped in your case

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Back in December, I ordered a sim free 128GB rose gold 6S+ direct from Apple that had 9.0.2 on it. A week later, I ordered a sim free 64GB rose gold 6S from Apple and it had 9.1 on it.

You just won't know like others have said, till you get it what iOS version is on it.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Elist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
Thank you all guys, I tried my luck and call some stores. One store says they have some new iOS 9.0.1 iPhones and I ordered one. Hope I won't be dissapointed when I get the package...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you all guys, I tried my luck and call some stores. One store says they have some new iOS 9.0.1 iPhones and I ordered one. Hope I won't be dissapointed when I get the package...
Considering that there is zero way to tell what version of iOS is installed just by examining a sealed box, how is it that the reps of these stores you called know exactly what version of iOS is installed?

Elist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
Considering that there is zero way to tell what version of iOS is installed just by examining a sealed box, how is it that the reps of these stores you called know exactly what version of iOS is installed?
That's exactly what I'm afraid of... but he assured me that all the phones he got with the same delivery where 9.0.1, and if it isn't he will fully refund me. As I was saying - hope I won't be dissapointed...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's exactly what I'm afraid of... but he assured me that all the phones he got with the same delivery where 9.0.1, and if it isn't he will fully refund me. As I was saying - hope I won't be dissapointed...
Well…I do hope you get your money back if the rep is wrong.

It sounds to me like a sales rep trying to make a sale by promising the customer what they want to hear. But we shall see I guess.

Good luck!

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California

I don't know, I'm thinking someway, somehow, they can get that from the box.
9276c28d7c658eaf8554bde2c34df15f.jpg
Not that it's on it.... But I bet someone could get close with the right info.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Lol. Good luck! Write down the name of the employee and buy it when he is there and open the phone on the spot.
His refund it's probably going to be by way of return for not liking the phone in the first 15days and not because of the iOS version.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
Yeah keep us posted! At this point your chances of getting one on 9.0.2 or lower are slim and none.

I bought my mom a 16GB iPhone 6s at an AT&T store on Jan 7, and I bought by 64GB 6s from AT&T online and it arrived a few days later. Both came with IOS 9.1.

Elist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
Finally got it! The first seller was actually wrong, but I managed to find a brand new 6s with iOS 9.0.1.
My first JB device is up and running!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Purchased a 6s Gold for the wife some 6 weeks ago. I asked the folks (Gigantti forum, Helsinki, Finland) to give me the oldest item in the stock. It was a 9.1. That is, you may still have the chance of getting something "old". Just tell them to find you the oldest item possible, if you purchase it in a retail store.

I was very lucky NOT to have updated it to 9.2.x. JB'ing, apart from it seemingly failing and the infamous wait-for-the-fourth-boot-loop problem, has been fine on it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Purchased a 6s Gold for the wife some 6 weeks ago. I asked the folks (Gigantti forum, Helsinki, Finland) to give me the oldest item in the stock. It was a 9.1. That is, you may still have the chance of getting something "old". Just tell them to find you the oldest item possible, if you purchase it in a retail store.

I was very lucky NOT to have updated it to 9.2.x. JB'ing, apart from it seemingly failing and the infamous wait-for-the-fourth-boot-loop problem, has been fine on it.
I don't know if many retailers or basically their employees would spend much time looking through records and inventory to find the oldest item for someone. Probably some would, but I'm not sure if that would be a lot (and even those who might might just go in the back and grab something random just to make it seem like they did it). That said, probably doesn't hurt to ask (with managed expectations that is).

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I don't know if many retailers or basically their employees would spend much time looking through records and inventory to find the oldest item for someone. Probably some would, but I'm not sure if that would be a lot (and even those who might might just go in the back and grab something random just to make it seem like they did it). That said, probably doesn't hurt to ask (with managed expectations that is).
yup, not all/many of them do. I was lucky with the local folks, who did.

zw470

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2016
I just bought a 6 Plus from a "real" Verizon store on March 16th and it came with 9.0.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.