Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
I have a few third-party apps from trusted developers and I'm wondering about the icons. Can I change the icons that appear in the /Applications folder and the dock for third-party apps? These appear to be in a .icns file. I have been doing graphic design for over a decade, so the graphics are not a problem. I'm just wondering what problems I would cause if I attempted to edit the icons that appear in the app bundles.

Edit: I just had a thought. I'm on El Capitan.. is this going to present a problem (SIP)?

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/07/16/how-to-change-app-icon-mac/

Seems to be quite easy, although you do need to disable SIP temporarily. The original icons are just .icns files, so the app itself won't know that the icon was changed, and thus there shouldn't be any issues.
Yeah, the more I thought about it, the more I realized how simple this would be - the most difficult part would be disabling SIP. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to cause problems elsewhere.

Thank you for the link, very helpful :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.