Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
I have an @icloud.com email address, this email address is also my Apple ID. I want to change it to a new @icloud.com email address of my choosing.

I don’t want to lose any of my purchases, emails or data associated with my current Apple ID. When I have the new Apple ID/@icloud.com email address set up I’ll still need access to the old one (initially). That‘s because I’ll have to contact a large number of entities to register the change and it’s a common procedure for them to send an email to the old address to confirm the change. Once I have finished that process I will want to disable the old address. Apple’s support documents are not clear about these details.

Is this possible?

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
no, but you can add up to two additional addresses to your account (more if you're an iCloud+ subscriber) and use your current (main) one for your Apple ID only and the others for actual interactions with anything outside of Apple.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
@Apple_Robert @unrigestered

Which bit is the sticking point? Creating the second email address?

I suppose it would work if Apple allowed you to promote an alias to the primary address, but my understanding is that they don’t.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
They do… 3 in fact as opposed to the 2 i was mistakingly stating before
They allow you to promote an alias to the primary address? Because then I could just delete the old address when it presumably becomes an alias.

How do I do that?

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Just do check this point again.

I do have an:
- Apple ID (mail@somedomain.com)
- a primary Apple iCloud.com address (fixed)

Problems:
1. When helping someone via 'Screen sharing' they opposite will always see my primary Apple iCloud.com address > can I change that?
2. When using Apple iCloud Domains (with own domains) I need to use the primary Apple iCloud.com address name for IMAP/SMTP verification (within Thunderbird and so on) > is this also FIXED? I don't want my full name within those credentials everywhere > especially there where I just use it for status messages (own router etc.).

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have an @icloud.com email address, this email address is also my Apple ID. I want to change it to a new @icloud.com email address of my choosing.

I don’t want to lose any of my purchases, emails or data associated with my current Apple ID. When I have the new Apple ID/@icloud.com email address set up I’ll still need access to the old one (initially). That‘s because I’ll have to contact a large number of entities to register the change and it’s a common procedure for them to send an email to the old address to confirm the change. Once I have finished that process I will want to disable the old address. Apple’s support documents are not clear about these details.

Is this possible?
You absolutely can change the email address associated with your Apple ID. Apple used to list limitations on switching if you were using an iCloud email but there’s no issues with moving to or from iCloud addresses to third party emails.
Apple has a document on how to do it: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202667

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
You absolutely can change the email address associated with your Apple ID.
What about the Address which is used for credentials IMAP/SMTP of 3rd party clients? Is this also possible to change? Didn't find a way 😔

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
What about the Address which is used for credentials IMAP/SMTP of 3rd party clients? Is this also possible to change? Didn't find a way 😔
I don't follow what you're asking here. If you change the email address of your Apple ID, then everything linked to it also uses the new address.

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
I don't follow what you're asking here.
Hi. My situation:
- do have an Apple ID
- additional to that do have an firstname.lastname@icloud.com

Both are not linked and when I want to use own mail domains I have to enter app specific credentials to user Thunderbird an other Clients.
Those credentials are:
- app specific Passwort from iCloud
- AND my additional icloud.com Mail address (and NOT my Apple ID) as a username

That’s what I want to change. Why can’t I change the ’username’ for 3rd Party Clients when using IMAP/SMTP.

Totally confusing in my opinion.

This iCloud.com address was there some time - I did never created it. Why can’t I delete or edit it?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Hi. My situation:
- do have an Apple ID
- additional to that do have an firstname.lastname@icloud.com

Both are not linked and when I want to use own mail domains I have to enter app specific credentials to user Thunderbird an other Clients.
Those credentials are:
- app specific Passwort from iCloud
- AND my additional icloud.com Mail address (and NOT my Apple ID) as a username

That’s what I want to change. Why can’t I change the ’username’ for 3rd Party Clients when using IMAP/SMTP.

Totally confusing in my opinion.

This iCloud.com address was there some time - I did never created it. Why can’t I delete or edit it?

Hijacking someone else’s thread is not good form. Post a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.