Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jbrac25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
Hi all,
Like the title states, im looking to to video some baseball work and in doing so the plan is setup a tripod with an iphone, then standing nearby, remotely controlling the video feed, which would include being able to watch the footage right after videoing without having to go to the phone and sending the footage via airdrop. Im also open to using a camera such as the Mevo or Gopro hero to accomplish the same thing. Really looking for an affordable way to watch plays and such with an ipad right after it happens like in the pros.
Thanks

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
This perhaps?

Reactions: Jbrac25

Jbrac25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
I appreciate the response. Looks like its only for the camera, I do not see the option to view the camera roll from another linked device.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Not sure of all the capabilities but the FiLMic Pro app on the iPhone and FiLMic Remote on the iPad will get you in that direction.

You do have a networking issue to resolve. Not sure what kind of wifi they've got out there on the baseball field but I think it works with the iPhone's hotspot feature.

Look on YouTube for user help and review videos.

Jbrac25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
Thanks Brian, i did try both of these apps using my phones hotspot and it also does not allow me to control looking into my camera roll from the remote controlled device. Main aspects were controlling the recording and camera features remotely and start/stop features.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I appreciate the response. Looks like its only for the camera, I do not see the option to view the camera roll from another linked device.
If you are setup with iCloud you should see the pictures pretty instantaneously in photos on the iPad. This happens when I take pictures with my iPhone, I don't have to transfer, airdrop or anything else, the pictures I took are in my library in photos on my iPad.

Jbrac25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
That does work, however with the videos being about 10 seconds in length, it takes up to a couple of minutes before it shows and the players cannot be standing around that long waiting.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
That does work, however with the videos being about 10 seconds in length, it takes up to a couple of minutes before it shows and the players cannot be standing around that long waiting.
makes sense, I have not really checked mine for speed, just there when I want to look at it. Surprised no one was figured something like this out yet, especially with how well Apple devices generally play with each other. Maybe you are onto a million dollar app idea!

Willbfar

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2023
The app you are looking for is called Mirror Vision. It is designed for golf feedback but it has the exact functionality you want. I think it is about $40 a year.

I actually came here to see if there is an alternative that has a one time fee, but after hours of research it looks like Mirror Vision is the best option.

The app allows you to control the camera of one iOS device with the other device. So iPhone on a tripod and the iPad acts as a camera remote. You can watch the camera view in real time, record, and watch the recorded clip instantly without going to the source device. You can also flip the view, do slo mo etc. Then export the video clip to your camera roll in one tap, or keep it housed within the app.

I haven’t found any other app that comes close to that functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.