Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonSarge3108

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Hi,

Is there anyway to take a DVD that I have on the shelf and get a copy on the iPad ?

I have a MacBook Pro but no DVD drive on it, a Windows 8.1 laptop with a DVD drive, an iPad mini and pro, Apple TV and an Xbox One if that helps at all? :/

Thanks all.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Don't know if the Xbox has any DVD functions. There are DVD ripping programs for Windows, but I haven't used them for a while. Once you rip the DVD, you can either import them into iTunes, upload them to Dropbox, OneDrive, etc, or copy them to your iPad over your local network. It depends on if you want them in the stock video app, or you don't mind using other media playing apps.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Don't know if the Xbox has any DVD functions. There are DVD ripping programs for Windows, but I haven't used them for a while. Once you rip the DVD, you can either import them into iTunes, upload them to Dropbox, OneDrive, etc, or copy them to your iPad over your local network. It depends on if you want them in the stock video app, or you don't mind using other media playing apps.

xbone can play them, no software I know of that rips though. Also not aware of file sharing of sorts either. have only looked briefly as one game I play has only the one save game setup. wanted to back that up to run a different game for reasons (replay not trashing that save basically doing some funky stuff with storyline to see what happens).

Consoles tend to be locked down. Insert one of the weaknesses in console gaming....no modding or extra stuff not blessed by console vendor. This what I miss about PC gaming the most. Mac OS same as not all mods universal. But I am going on tangent now....

Op, my post above also assumes the MBP runs the iTunes. Mine does in a mixed environment. If that windows laptop runs it...well all work on that really to save steps. If assumption was wrong sorry for the misdirect.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hi,

Is there anyway to take a DVD that I have on the shelf and get a copy on the iPad ?

I have a MacBook Pro but no DVD drive on it, a Windows 8.1 laptop with a DVD drive, an iPad mini and pro, Apple TV and an Xbox One if that helps at all? :/

Thanks all.
Install MakeMKV on your windows 8.1 ( update to Win10 as soon as possible ). Rip the dvd and store locally ( if you are going to do quite a few look into getting a NAS ). Download the movie file to an iTunes machine ( either your mac or windows - I use my Win10 test box as a dedicated ripper and iTunes pusher ), plug in your iPad and sync the movie of your choice.

You could also use PLEX to stream your movie files ( sort of a personal NetFlix server ) to your iPad; but that requires quite a bit more fiddling, installing and tweaking.

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Or, you can donate the DVD and buy the movie on iTunes.

Yes, I know. I felt icky about this for the longest time. But I spent so much time and effort ripping my DVD collection, and it wasn't even in HD, that I decided my time was more valuable. The most expensive movie in iTunes is $20, but they have a ton of movies at $15, $10, $8 and $5. I gave up. Not worth my time. YMMV.

Reactions: Aldaris and old-wiz

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Have you tried OPlayerHD Lite? I've copied both AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files and it plays them very well. Of course you create a folder for each DVD.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Install DVD43 to override copy protection (it runs as a background task). Then use Handbrake to rip the video into an MP4 file. Copy the MP4 file into your iTunes library and sync your device and it will show up in the Videos app.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I have about 100 movies in the iTunes library on the wireless mobile hard drive I can watch movies from my iPad or iPhone or my rMBP wirelessly. I had to use dvdrip then handbrake when it is done I add them to iTunes it takes a lot of work and patience.

genomez

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
I have about 100 movies in the iTunes library on the wireless mobile hard drive I can watch movies from my iPad or iPhone or my rMBP wirelessly. I had to use dvdrip then handbrake when it is done I add them to iTunes it takes a lot of work and patience.
Which wireless hard drive do you use?

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Which wireless hard drive do you use?

bought from Craigslist Seagate Satellite 500GB (stolen) last September now have Patriot Memory Aero 500GB I found cheap from eBay but the iOS app is not that good. Seagate app is very good I wanted to find another Satellite but they are hard to find so I had to buy Aero instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.