Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drecc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
I have tested plugging the Comica BoomX-D2 wireless mic receiver's 3.5mm audio out into my Macbook Air M2 with the included TRRS adapter, and I seem to be able to record audio just fine.

Am I at risk of damaging the Macbook Air by connecting any audio source (such as a radio, a tape recorder, etc) with a 3.5mm headphone-out or line-out to my Macbook using a TRRS adapter?

Or is there something special about the Comica unit that allows the line-out on the receiver to be connected to mic-in?

I'd be most grateful if anyone can help clear up my confusion please :)

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I think you would have a better result with a USB sound card, rather than hoping the line-out continues to work for you as a recording input.

drecc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
I think you would have a better result with a USB sound card, rather than hoping the line-out continues to work for you as a recording input.
Thanks - any recommendations for a compact USB sound card? Most of the links to HW in the pinned FAQ are 404, and most of what I can find on Amazon look huge and industrial.

drecc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Maybe this list will help?
Thanks - I assumed that due to the low prices of things like those, that they would be of the same or lesser quality than the Mac already has.

I just realised that I can do my own tests connecting the Comica to my Zoom H1 line-in, and comparing the quality I see there to the quality I get recording with the Mac mic-in.

I guess then the main question remains... if the quality is acceptable to me, whether I am doing any damage by treating the Mac's mic-in as a line-in...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you are not getting distorted sound recording through that connection, then I would say it is not a mic level, but is a line-level input. And, you can assume that you are not potentially doing any damage to anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.