Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
I've been reading around the forums because I want to hook up my MBP to my 62" Sony HDTV. I came across this cable in the apple store that hooks up to my MBP, and but then what other cable do I need to connect it to my HDTV? How would the resolution look like on my TV? Thanks in advance.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
AJ Muni said:
I've been reading around the forums because I want to hook up my MBP to my 62" Sony HDTV. I came across this cable in the apple store that hooks up to my MBP, and but then what other cable do I need to connect it to my HDTV? How would the resolution look like on my TV? Thanks in advance.

So long as your TV will support a DVi or VGA input from a PC then you shoul dbe able to use it. I have seen some HDTV's that have a DVi port but it will not accept a PC as an input. I would consult your TV user guide.

Im not sure if that will work with the MBP, cant you just go DVi to DVi?

Ed

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
It won't look as good as a monitor simply because its running a small resolution across a very large display.

For example, I connected my old Power Mac G5 to my 26" LCD HDTV at its 720p resolution which is 1366x768. Considering that a 20" Cinema Display displays 1680x1024, you can see how the Cinema display is a lot sharper.

In your case, the 720p resolution will be stretched over 62", so you'll have to sit quite a bit back to obtain the same level of sharpness, but it is acceptable for stuff like movies etc, it's just not going to be a substitute for a proper monitor.

If all you need is a cable, go for it, it's always handy to have a large TV to view movies on :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.