Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
sk3pt1c said:
also,it's not my falut that they didn't teach us mac os at uni or that i didn't have the money to buy a mac until now :)...

I did not suggest that they should have use OSX at your Uni. I did suggest that any course worth being called Computer Science should have used other OSs than Windows at least some of the time. Most of the "serious" parts of big business do not run on Windows (or OSX). I'd treat a course that only uses Windows like I'd treat a MCSE looking for a job: I'd avoid it.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
sk3pt1c said:
guys,i never said i was a developer, i said i will be doing light programming
also,it's not my falut that they didn't teach us mac os at uni or that i didn't have the money to buy a mac until now :)
other than that,it was enough to just tell me that everything runs just as in windows,as simple as that

thanks everyone and i will come back with more questions when the powerbook arrives and i have sometime to play with it

merry christmas and a happy new year to all of you :)

ps.perhaps some of you should be more tolerant with new mac users, no one was born with the knowledge, you had to learn from someone else too, yes?

Sorry for sounding brutal. I usually take it out on the various professors who teach such classes. When I took my first Java class, the man didn't know that Java runs quite well on IBM's OS/400, Solaris, or Mac OS X. Indeed, he was an idiot to think that Windows was the only platform for Java, an environment specifically made for the ability to run the same applications the same way everywhere.

It is the instructor's job to know more than the student and to be able to convey that clearly. Most are lucky to be able to get through the class, but not lucky enough to have true skill in negotiating reality in computing.

When I first took a computing class, there was no thought of something called Windows or something else called Macintosh. My first computer had a maximum resolution of 320x192. Computer Science was more even and covered more even if the tools were more crude. (I'm still comfortable with 6502 assembly code, yet some programmers I've known have never done any assembly language coding.)

I'm sure you'll learn soon enough but you have to try a lot of things to get there. Failure is twice as important as success for learning during the early years, as long as you understand what went wrong. :)

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
sk3pt1c said:
guys,i never said i was a developer, i said i will be doing light programming
also,it's not my falut that they didn't teach us mac os at uni or that i didn't have the money to buy a mac until now :)

isn't our fault you didn't take 5 minutes to search google, forget about even trying to read about it on apple.com. Who would have thought apple might have something written about that?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
bousozoku said:
When I took my first Java class, the man didn't know that Java runs quite well on IBM's OS/400, Solaris, or Mac OS X.

Oh no.. that guy should have his glasses broken. Didn't know that Java runs on Solaris... guess he thinks Microsoft 'invented' (not just stole) Java too, eh?

txringer234

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2005
sorry for being stupid in java

i need some help with using java on the mac. I know how to use it on windows because im taking a class at my high school in java and i can program but i really need some help figuring xcode out

for one how do i instantiate the jvm?
and our teacher did that with us on the windows so im confused
thanks need help

i have a mac 10.3.9 if it helps

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
txringer234 said:
i need some help with using java on the mac. I know how to use it on windows because im taking a class at my high school in java and i can program but i really need some help figuring xcode out

for one how do i instantiate the jvm?
and our teacher did that with us on the windows so im confused
thanks need help

i have a mac 10.3.9 if it helps

Since you are learning, don't bother using XCode, you will only lose focus on the language. Use the command line to compile and run, just like you know how on windows.

txringer234

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2005
well i really want to program on the mac, but the xcode thing is difficult to understand right now

when i build and run an executable it says, it cant instantiate the jvm, and i dont know how to

stupid question? well i really dont care... if someone could help please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.