Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Hey guys, I've got an iPhone 11 Pro which recently upgraded its iOS by itself from 16 to 17. For various reasons I need to keep my phone on iOS16.

If let's say I get another iPhone that has iOS16 still on it, clean installed. If I log into my iCloud account on that new phone, would it transfer all my data without having to upgrade to iOS17?

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hey guys, I've got an iPhone 11 Pro which recently upgraded its iOS by itself from 16 to 17. For various reasons I need to keep my phone on iOS16.

If let's say I get another iPhone that has iOS16 still on it, clean installed. If I log into my iCloud account on that new phone, would it transfer all my data without having to upgrading to iOS17?
You won't be able to restore a backup from an iOS 17 device to an iOS 16 device.

Reactions: headlessmike

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
You won't be able to restore a backup from an iOS 17 device to an iOS 16 device.
Hi, I’m not actually restoring a backup. I am logging into my icloud account on a new phone with an older ios. In theory shouldn’t it download all my photos, etc without me having to upgrade the ios?

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
Hi, I’m not actually restoring a backup. I am logging into my icloud account on a new phone with an older ios. In theory shouldn’t it download all my photos, etc without me having to upgrade the ios?
it should yes, but why would you need to go through all that just for ios 16?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.