Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fabrum

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2021
My iMac will be obsoleted with the next version of MacOS that will be released. Can I download newer versions of Xcode onto an older version of MacOS? Will they work? Will the App Store accept submissions for apps with such a software/hardware configuration? thanks!

Red Menace

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2011
Colorado, USA
My Magic 8-ball says the outlook is not so good. You would need to check the minimum system requirements for any given version of Xcode; Apple usually requires the latest version for the App Store.

fabrum

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2021
For the sake of repaying this community for their help - here is Apple's weblink for the system requirements for Xcode. There appears to be a variable period of time during which various Xcode versions will work on older versions of MacOS. Depending on Xcode updates, of course.

I'm hoping this will mean that when the new version of MacOS arrives then I will see approximately a year or so that Xcode will work on MacOS Monterey.
Here it is:

szymczyk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2006
You can get an idea on when Apple drops support for older versions of macOS by looking at the history of releases at Xcode Releases.

Xcode 14 supports macOS 12. Some time during the Xcode 14 life cycle, Apple will raise the system requirements to macOS 13. That will probably occur in early 2023.

Around April 2023 Apple will require that submissions to the iOS App Store be built with Xcode 14. Around April 2024 Apple will raise the requirement to Xcode 15. Judging by Apple's recent history, your current Mac will be able to submit iOS apps to the App Store until April 2024. But there's no guarantee of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.