Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
not sure this question is in the right section, but here goes. i removed a nearly blank SSD from a project iMac, and want to use it in a Dell laptop. the SSD only had High Sierra installed, nothing else (that i recall). obviously, it won't function on the Dell. if i install it in the Dell, can i erase it while in that computer, and then install a fresh Windows OS on it?

i have a macbook pro, but the usb ports are unreliable, so hooking it up to that is not a good option. i do have a Dell desktop in good condition. is it an option to get an enclosure and hook the SSD to that, wipe it, and install Windows that was, then install in the laptop?

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Yes, you can, easily. You just boot with a Windows installer USB drive, follow the directions. You may have to delete the partitions, but there's a place in the install that asks you where to install and you can delete the partitions already there.

Creating that installer USB drive is harder, you'd need a working computer to do it, and it's easier with a Windows PC. Maybe you can get one of your friends to make it?

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
Also, can I install hd into Dell laptop, then hook it up to the Dell desktop? Is that the best way?

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
Well, I’m putting it in the laptop. But wondering if I do that and hook the laptop to the desktop, is that a good way to erase the hd and install windows? Thx

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
You can't just hook the laptop up to the desktop without an os the laptop to begin with.

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
Yes, you can, easily. You just boot with a Windows installer USB drive, follow the directions. You may have to delete the partitions, but there's a place in the install that asks you where to install and you can delete the partitions already there.

Creating that installer USB drive is harder, you'd need a working computer to do it, and it's easier with a Windows PC. Maybe you can get one of your friends to make it?
update: popped the crucial hd into the sabrent. my dell desktop did not show it connected, though it make a chime while connecting and disconnecting. i read online that people have had issues with at least windows 10 recognizing the device :(

so, i successfully hooked it up to my usb-dead macbook pro. it recognized it long enough to do a 7 pass deletion.
crucial is now empty. now, do i have to "format" it before downloading windows 11 to it, or will the download be enough? any reason to partition it (i assume that means i put windows on one side and OS on the other?)?

also, there seems to be two different MS formats: one above 32 gb, the other for below. what's that about?

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
found this advice:

NTFS is best suited for using a drive with Windows devices. Choose this format if you're going to use the drive with a Windows computer. b. exFAT is best suited for using a drive with both Windows and Mac OS devices.Jan 24, 2023

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
so, i successfully hooked it up to my usb-dead macbook pro. it recognized it long enough to do a 7 pass deletion.
crucial is now empty. now, do i have to "format" it before downloading windows 11 to it, or will the download be enough? any reason to partition it (i assume that means i put windows on one side and OS on the other?)?
The download should be enough, it'll do the partitioning and formatting. I wouldn't split it up any more than what the OS install will, unless you have a specific reason to want to.

NTFS is best suited for using a drive with Windows devices. Choose this format if you're going to use the drive with a Windows computer. b. exFAT is best suited for using a drive with both Windows and Mac OS devices.Jan 24, 2023
That's definitely true. NTFS is a very robust file system for windows and I'd definitely suggest that. exFAT is not nearly as safe to use, but it can be read by just about any OS. It would be good for an external SSD that you want to be able to use with a Mac or PC. (or linux...)

You can download the app that can create the installer media here:

I think there's something you can use on a Mac to create that same media, but I haven't used it.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
You need to create a bootable flash drive... You need to use a Windows computer to download the ISO and format the flash drive as NTFS... You can either use Rufus or Ventoy... With Rufus, it formats the flash drive and copies all the contents of the ISO... With Ventoy, it partitions and formats the drive... You can copy the ISO to the larger partition and boot it as if it is a bootable CD/DVD... Of course you still need to press the correct key for boot selection to boot using your Windows 10/11 flash drive...

Once you have a bootable flash drive and booted into the Windows setup, you can either create partitions (system, data) or allow Windows to use it as a single drive (not counting the smaller partitions it creates) then install Windows...

Once booted into the Windows desktop, you can either install the drivers or let Windows download and install the drivers for you (once you're connected to the internet via ethernet or Wi-Fi) then install the programs/software that you need...

rwh63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
New England
a little research indicates i can format during Windows download, rather than prior? and i can accomplish this by hooking it up to my Pro, rather than a PC (just go to Microsoft site and download from there)?

exfat: being cross compatible with windows and OS, is this best to choose if i ever want to swap hard drive out of pc to mac device? i would like to possibly transfer a lot of data from my pro to this Dell, as both a back up and to add to (music, pic/vid files, documents, downloads, etc). an example of a possible issue, i was going to transfer my photo/vid group from my pro to the pc desktop, but was told that just the items themselves would transfer, not the filing system i had created to separate and hold them, meaning i would have recreate the whole thing again on the pc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.