Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Hi all, Happy New Year!

I have an old iPhone 6, that in retrospect showed all the symptoms of a bad battery - bad performance at times, battery gets used up quickly, etc. Hearing about the $29 battery replacement, I thought I Might go to a Genius Bar and get a new battery for it. I have reset the phone to factory, it has an old SIM in it that has been deactivated, so it can't make any phone calls. Actually, I set it up without logging into any accounts - I did not log in with my Apple ID, iCloud, etc.

My question is this - will they be able to test the phone to determine if the battery should be replaced, or do I need to do more to the phone first - like log in with Apple ID, or have the phone able to make/receive phone calls, etc.?

Thanks!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Nothing. They’ll replace the battery as long as it’s not locked and you can prove it’s your own device.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Thanks. How do I prove it's mine and I didn't steal it?

You don’t have to prove anything if the phone is not locked to be honest. As long as it’s functional they generally won’t ask any question because they can see the device history the minute they put in the IMEI on their system.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Thank you for your replies! One last question - I know sometimes they run a URL-based diagnostic to check the battery health, if they still do that, then they only need internet access through their own WiFi?

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Hi all, Happy New Year!

I have an old iPhone 6, that in retrospect showed all the symptoms of a bad battery - bad performance at times, battery gets used up quickly, etc. Hearing about the $29 battery replacement, I thought I Might go to a Genius Bar and get a new battery for it. I have reset the phone to factory, it has an old SIM in it that has been deactivated, so it can't make any phone calls. Actually, I set it up without logging into any accounts - I did not log in with my Apple ID, iCloud, etc.

My question is this - will they be able to test the phone to determine if the battery should be replaced, or do I need to do more to the phone first - like log in with Apple ID, or have the phone able to make/receive phone calls, etc.?

Thanks!

Why not just make and appointment and go in?

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Why not just make and appointment and go in?

That's what I plan to do, I didn't want to get in there and find they couldn't change the battery because the phone didn't have an active Sim or something.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That's what I plan to do, I didn't want to get in there and find they couldn't change the battery because the phone didn't have an active Sim or something.

No, you don't need an active sim to get service done to your device.
Those batteries might end up being free soon with all these lawsuits that are out so I'd hold off for a while if you can.
You have till the end of 2018 anyway ;)

Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.