Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I have tried about 5+ cables for my iPhone and have gotten mixed results here are my conclusions. This is the most up to date information I have , and will work for iPhone 2.1 and older.

There are three kind of cables that you can connect to the iPhone

Type 1

The first type Simply does not work, no video ouput and the cable will just say that the iPhone does not support the cable ( this refers to the headphone A/V cable and others of the like)

for example these will not work http://www.chinawholesalegift.com/p.../Ipod-cable/AV-Cable-For-ipod-16492542491.jpg

Type 2

The second type will play a movie for about 60-90 seconds, eventually it will stop sending the video out signal and tell you that the accessory is not supported. This is typical of the cheap av cables you can buy on eBay right now, and some of the older iPod dock connector cables. Basically any cable that does not SPECIFICALLY say "Made for iPhone 3g" will stop sending a signal after a while for example (I bought these and they did not work )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220272841215

Type 3

The third type of cable works, and works most of the time but rarely it will decide not to send out a video signal. This is due to a loose connection . If you receive the " iphone does not support message" unplug and replug the cable and it should work.

Links to WORKING cables

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/A
These worked with My living room LCD, but failed to work on my indash 7" LCD
They do come with a USB cable end for charging which is a big plus
They cost 50 DOLLARS !!

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/274/productID/1622
These worked on my living room LCD and my indash 7" LCD ( so far this is the only cable that works in my car)

Here is a video of the Scosche cables working in my car
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/551807/

Unfortunately these cables do not have the USB cable end for charging, but they cost only $40.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video output is currently only supported by three programs

Youtube
Ipod Video
Ipod Photos

No other programs, events, messages, screens, etc will display video

Video output currently not working ( hopefully soon)

Truveo
GPS
Sarari
Ipod Music ( album art)
Anything else :(

I would really like to get a sticky so we can update this thread if ( and when) there is new information

vrflyer

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Suburb of Columbus
TYPE #1 used to work pre v2.1 update = very sad. :(

Perhaps it might work for "jailbreaked" iPhones. If anyone is interested let me know - you pay for the shipping and its yours. :D

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I have the Apple cables and they have been working good for me (iPhone 3g 2.1 Software). The $50 is kind of a rip for a cable, though.

It would be nice to be able to have them display album art from the ipod music section when hooked up to a tv.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I have the Apple cables and they have been working good for me (iPhone 3g 2.1 Software). The $50 is kind of a rip for a cable, though.

It would be nice to be able to have them display album art from the ipod music section when hooked up to a tv.

If you look at the fact Apple charges $40 JUST for the USB plug adaptor, $50 for the adaptor and the AV cables doesn't seem so bad. At least, that's how I justified it in my head. haha

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
If you look at the fact Apple charges $40 JUST for the USB plug adaptor, $50 for the adaptor and the AV cables doesn't seem so bad. At least, that's how I justified it in my head. haha

well comparing it to something that is even worse of a rip off, doesn't mean that its not a rip-off... one is just worse

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I'm willing to pay the Apple premium for the product that I know works out of the box, instead of spending my money on 5 different sets of cables, looking for one that might work, just to save 10 bucks. It's not worth the hassle.

On that note, this is a great thread, and it's cool you posted your findings on all these cables. I second the motion for a sticky thread.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I tested all my cables with 2.2 , nothing changed

schosche cables are still the only cables that work with my 7" in dash LCD

schosche + apple cables work on everything else

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I tested all my cables with 2.2 , nothing changed

schosche cables are still the only cables that work with my 7" in dash LCD

schosche + apple cables work on everything else

The only problem with the Schosche is they don't charge the iPhone, correct?

bkw

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
Hey all-

It appears that a few eBay sellers are selling AV cables for 2.2 firmware (http://cgi.ebay.com/AV-Video-Cable-...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:4|65:1|39:1|240:1318)

Anyone try one of these? I've done a bunch of searching and research, but I havent seen any products that specifically state that it works and is tested for 2.2 firmware - like the one in the link above does.

And my last question - can you charge and play video at the same time with the genuine Apple AV cable accessory? I'll be streaming video to the overhead screen for my kids to watch movies - but not being able to charge and play at the same time will limit the length of our planned road trips.

txr0ckabilly

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Southwest Louisiana
i have the apple brand cable and video works great, sound is a problem though. i have to crank my tv volume all the way up just to be able to watch a movie.

have i got a setting messed up on the phone? or is it a problem with just my set? or are my cables bad? or does anyone else even have this issue?

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
The YouTube Remote Control for your TV Set!

As I've mentioned in the MR thread iPhone 3G + AV Cable = no video? I've got a new cable from Apple Store and it works great as described in the OP. A little difference is the part number, mine is Apple AV composite cable (part number MB129ZA/B). The first one I've got delivered by Apple Store was kaputt.

Looking at still pictures of the iPhone's camera roll and photo folders works only in the slideshow mode! The slideshow transition on the external screen (TV, beamer...) will always be "Dissolve" whatever you choose in the iPhone's photo settings (and the transition looks a bit jerky) but it features background music and the pictures are sharp and crisp!

You can stop the slideshow and move forwards and backwards manually by flicking left or right. No zooming/pinching or panning within the photos to be seen on the TV screen. Only on the iDevice's screen which shows the photos at the same time (without any slideshow transition effects). When you have photos in a photo folder with different formats you will see them fit (and eventually cut) on the external screen.

Watching iPod videos and podcasts on a TV set will show nothing on the iPhone's screen but only the perfect working video controls. I've downloaded some movie trailers from iTunes and some of them show on the little screen a still photo of the trailer playing on my large display using Apple AV cable after all.

The video and audio outputs have a surprisingly and really very good technical quality.

Forget the remote control of your TV set! Take your iDevice instead and watch all the YouTube content in perfect quality (comparable to Cable-TV analog or even slightly better than S-VHS) and stereo sound right on your TV! Use your iPhone or iPod touch as a YouTube Remote Control! (Maybe you'll need cheap extensions for the RCA connectors.)

In the MR thread 3G 2.2+ AV Cable Questions I've posted some pictures of the AV cable manual and of the cable itself.

Some friends and I are really excited about that great feature! As seen in the replies of the threads it seems that almost nobody uses it. I am going to buy a second one of those cables (in the hope that the first one will work this time ;-)

Edit: Apple will send me my second AV cable without shipping costs, because I had troubles with the first one (after I've asked). Nice :) All shipment dates (deliveries, collection of the defect cable at my front door) within shortest periods.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
The YouTube Remote Control for your TV Set!

As I've mentioned in the MR thread iPhone 3G + AV Cable = no video? I've got a new cable from Apple Store and it works great as described in the OP. A little difference is the part number, mine is Apple AV composite cable (part number MB129ZA/B). The first one I've got delivered by Apple Store was kaputt.

Looking at still pictures of the iPhone's camera roll and photo folders works only in the slideshow mode! The slideshow transition on the external screen (TV, beamer...) will always be "Dissolve" whatever you choose in the iPhone's photo settings (and the transition looks a bit jerky) but it features background music and the pictures are sharp and crisp!

You can stop the slideshow and move forwards and backwards manually by flicking left or right. No zooming/pinching or panning within the photos to be seen on the TV screen. Only on the iDevice's screen which shows the photos at the same time (without any slideshow transition effects). When you have photos in a photo folder with different formats you will see them fit (and eventually cut) on the external screen.

Watching iPod videos and podcasts on a TV set will show nothing on the iPhone's screen but only the perfect working video controls. I've downloaded some movie trailers from iTunes and some of them show on the little screen a still photo of the trailer playing on my large display using Apple AV cable after all.

The video and audio outputs have a surprisingly and really very good technical quality.

Forget the remote control of your TV set! Take your iDevice instead and watch all the YouTube content in perfect quality (comparable to Cable-TV analog or even slightly better than S-VHS) and stereo sound right on your TV! Use your iPhone or iPod touch as a YouTube Remote Control! (Maybe you'll need cheap extensions for the RCA connectors.)

In the MR thread 3G 2.2+ AV Cable Questions I've posted some pictures of the AV cable manual and of the cable itself.

Some friends and I are really excited about that great feature! As seen in the replies of the threads it seems that almost nobody uses it. I am going to buy a second one of those cables (in the hope that the first one will work this time ;-)

ummm Yeah I mentioned this in my first post

Video output is currently only supported by three programs

Youtube
Ipod Video
Ipod Photos

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
or is it a problem with just my set? or are my cables bad? or does anyone else even have this issue?

Get an exchange. According to the postings here and in the official Apple Discussions Forums there seems to be a lot of those cables that don't work correctly.

ummm Yeah I mentioned this in my first post

Yes I know. Very good post, dottore. Should be sticky. I just wanted to point out that there is a different part number and what you can do with it a little bit more detailled.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
If you look at the fact Apple charges $40 JUST for the USB plug adaptor, $50 for the adaptor and the AV cables doesn't seem so bad.
Considering a charging adapter was already included with your iPhone or iPod, there is no need to pay for another one and thus making the Apple cables that include this adapter an added expense and a bad deal.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Considering a charging adapter was already included with your iPhone or iPod, there is no need to pay for another one and thus making the Apple cables that include this adapter an added expense and a bad deal.

I think you can't have enough of those adapters. Battery capacity is not the strongest part of the iPhone as we all know so it's good to have extra adapters at all the places where you go mostly. Desktop at home, office, nightstand...

And I like the original Apple adapter, it's one of the smallest and most practical ones in the world. I have another one made by Belkin, cheaper. It works fine but it's quite a bit larger and you can't change the current plug (that's maybe more important here in Europe).

An AV cable without power supply gives you a short time of watching YouTube, videos or photos on your TV set. There is an absolute need for the USB power connector. Almost all third party AV cables don't have such a power supply option.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
But it makes no sense to have more adapters when the one included with the iPhone has got to be the smallest one made. So you can easily carry it with you anywhere.

Oh but wait, you are correct....there would be no way to connect the included iPhone power adapter and video cables unless you used the USB video cables. Duh, sorry.

DigMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Is it still the case that none of these cheapo third part cables work or have they "cracked" it yet? Just looking at some on Ebay the seller's feedback seems to reflect from many buyers that they had no problem with the cable so I was wondering if anything has changed as far as 3rd party AV cables go.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Is it still the case that none of these cheapo third part cables work or have they "cracked" it yet? Just looking at some on Ebay the seller's feedback seems to reflect from many buyers that they had no problem with the cable so I was wondering if anything has changed as far as 3rd party AV cables go.

From what i hear nothing new

Don't skimp on the cables, I spent so much time and money trying to find ones that finally work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.