Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
New York
So I still have AppleCare on the phone I bought almost 2 years ago. I paid the $99 + deposit on the replacement phone. The applecare app led me to believe that this was to cover accidental damage, but I got an e-mail saying this

"if our technicians find that the product has been subjected to accidental damage or unauthorized modifications, we'll charge you the Equipment Replacement Value. We'll send an email to let you know about this charge."

So if my phone has accidental damage it isn't covered? And I have to pay the full price of a new phone? Is this right? Or am I reading something wrong?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Water damage = you pay for everything.

iPhones aren’t actually waterproof in any way. They might be IP86 rated for water ingress, but if it gets splashed and water somehow gets in it - Apple won’t warranty it.
An iPhone might be water resistant and it might not - especially when it gets older.
There’s a class action lawsuit about this very issue (false marketing claims).

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Water damage = you pay for everything.

iPhones aren’t actually waterproof in any way. They might be IP86 rated for water ingress, but if it gets splashed and water somehow gets in it - Apple won’t warranty it.
An iPhone might be water resistant and it might not - especially when it gets older.
There’s a class action lawsuit about this very issue (false marketing claims).
This is not true. Provided that OP has AppleCare+ and not AppleCare; water damage is covered as "accidental".

"If during the Plan Term you submit a valid claim by notifying Apple that the Covered Device has failed due to accidental damage from handling resulting from an unexpected and unintentional external event (such as, drops and damage caused by liquid contact) (“ADH”), Apple will, subject to your payment of the service fee described below, either (i) repair the defect using new parts or reclaimed Apple genuine parts that have been tested and pass Apple functional requirements, or (ii) exchange the Covered Device with a replacement product that is new or comprised of new and/or reclaimed Apple genuine parts and has been tested and passed Apple Functional requirements."

Reactions: arkitect and thv

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I stand corrected.
If you have AppleCare+ (not just the regular AC) they’ll repair or replace it for a fee. Last time I looked, that fee was $99.

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
New York
This is not true. Provided that OP has AppleCare+ and not AppleCare; water damage is covered as "accidental".

"If during the Plan Term you submit a valid claim by notifying Apple that the Covered Device has failed due to accidental damage from handling resulting from an unexpected and unintentional external event (such as, drops and damage caused by liquid contact) (“ADH”), Apple will, subject to your payment of the service fee described below, either (i) repair the defect using new parts or reclaimed Apple genuine parts that have been tested and pass Apple functional requirements, or (ii) exchange the Covered Device with a replacement product that is new or comprised of new and/or reclaimed Apple genuine parts and has been tested and passed Apple Functional requirements."

Yes I do indeed have AC+ the wording on their e-mail is just very strange to me. It sounds like a replacement device WON'T be covered due to accidental damage. Surely I'm misreading it here?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Yes I do indeed have AC+ the wording on their e-mail is just very strange to me. It sounds like a replacement device WON'T be covered due to accidental damage. Surely I'm misreading it here?
Its possible its a generic email. I've never had a device replaced due to accidental damage, only warranty covered issues and I've always had that disclaimer. So its entirely possible its the standard email. We would need someone else who has used their deductible chime in.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Its possible its a generic email.
This, for my guess as well.

Did a battery replacement on my MBP a few months ago, covered by AC+, but the way it was phrased in the email, sounded like I was going to get charged.

In OP case, the "unauthorized modifications" part is the relevant part.

A lot easier to send a generic message vs "if customer has AC..., else if has AC+..., else..." logic to generate highly specific to user email text.

Reactions: Mlrollin91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.