Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jailbreak0r1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
Please note in-advance that I've never jailbroken an iPhone and I'm only making this thread because I've read several “all you need to know before jailbreaking” type of guides and my request wasn't mentioned anywhere there.

On Android (as well as Windows, Linux and macOS) you can store files on a designated directory, and freely browse, open and edit them with any app you have installed on your device.

On iOS, unfortunately, you cannot do that as all data is trapped (sandboxed) within apps.

Is there some kind of jailbreaking tweak that would lift this sandbox experience?

I'd wish to use my iPhone as an external drive and plug it on my computer (Windows/Mac) and browse its directory and freely open and edit the files in it using the programs installed on my computer.

Can I do that? Thank you for any info.

-------------------------------------------------

Edit:
example: Open and edit an image stored on my iPhone directly from my computer using Photoshop, or open/edit a sheet document stored on my iPhone directly from my computer using MS Excel, etc.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Please note in-advance that I've never jailbroken an iPhone and I'm only making this thread because I've read several “all you need to know before jailbreaking” type of guides and my request wasn't mentioned anywhere there.

On Android (as well as Windows, Linux and macOS) you can store files on a designated directory, and freely browse, open and edit them with any app you have installed on your device.

On iOS, unfortunately, you cannot do that as all data is trapped (sandboxed) within apps.

Is there some kind of jailbreaking tweak that would lift this sandbox experience?

I'd wish to use my iPhone as an external drive and plug it on my computer (Windows/Mac) and browse its directory and freely open and edit the files in it using the programs installed on my computer.

Can I do that? Thank you for any info.

-------------------------------------------------

Edit:
example: Open and edit an image stored on my iPhone directly from my computer using Photoshop, or open/edit a sheet document stored on my iPhone directly from my computer using MS Excel, etc.
I have to say, you USED to be able to do that.

A jailbreak will automatically open the filesystem. But any tweaks that allow you to access the filesystem like a drive or a network share have long since been abandoned. The last I recall things being able to work this way was with iOS 7.

Now, that doesn't mean a tweak doesn't exist. My newest jailbreak is for an iOS 9 device so my familiarity is not up to date. I've heard that there is some sort of tweak allowing you to mount the device via USB but I have zero confirmation on that.

You might want to ask here: https://reddit.com/r/jailbreak It's reddit, but this site is essentially the 'home' of jailbreaking. Any news or information about stuff breaks there first. Someone will probably be able to point you to a tweak that does this.

The reddit site also has the JB matrix so you can determine which jailbreak is available for your device and firmware.

Reactions: jailbreak0r1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.