Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prefersmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2015
I use Apple Music in OS Catalina on a new MacBook and I see that all my iTunes library .AIFF files in OS Mojave on an older MacBook are now AAC files in my Apple Music library. If I prefer to have my AIFF files in Apple Music instead of the substituted AAC files, is there a way to get them back (preferably all at once)? Thank you.

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
That is strange. Normally you have to convert the files manually. Haven't heard of any automatic conversions.

Do you have a backup?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I use Apple Music in OS Catalina on a new MacBook and I see that all my iTunes library .AIFF files in OS Mojave on an older MacBook are now AAC files in my Apple Music library. If I prefer to have my AIFF files in Apple Music instead of the substituted AAC files is there a way to get them back (preferably all at once)? Thank you.
I assume you mean they appear as AAC files on the new laptop? That's normal, since iTunes converts ALAC and AIFF files to AAC before uploading them to the cloud. If they are matched instead of uploaded, you get Apple's AAC files. In any case you should still have your original files on the old laptop if you haven't manually converted them.

prefersmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2015
Do you have a backup?
Yes it is in Time Machine on my older computer that has iTunes.
[automerge]1573190750[/automerge]
I assume you mean they appear as AAC files on the new laptop? That's normal, since iTunes converts ALAC and AIFF files to AAC before uploading them to the cloud. If they are matched instead of uploaded, you get Apple's AAC files. In any case you should still have your original files on the old laptop if you haven't manually converted them.
Yes. They appear as AAC files on the new laptop. I do have the original files on the old laptop but I don't understand how I can get them into Apple Music on the new computer in place of the AAC versions.

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
As per above you have very little control over how Apple Music handles your music in the cloud with iCloud Music Library turned on. To keep the aif version you would have to sync to your devices manually from the original aif files, or use a cloud based service such as VOX. VOX allows you to upload and play your original file from the cloud.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yes. They appear as AAC files on the new laptop. I do have the original files on the old laptop but I don't understand how I can get them into Apple Music on the new computer in place of the AAC versions.
You'd have to copy them to the new computer manually and add them to the library there.

It is important to remember that iCloud Music Library is not meant for backups. Always keep a backup of your original files.

Reactions: prefersmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.