Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a Macbook Pro.
It's been a very long time since I've had my own laptop, and I'm looking for one that will last a few years and can keep up with my work needs. I'll use this laptop for CAD, Blender, Motion Graphics and Video Editing. I watched too many videos and really needed clarification as to what to get.

I currently have been using a Mac Studio M1Max with 32GB memory, 10-core CPU, and 32-core GPU.
This has been a beast, and I can't fault it. I want something to match and complement it.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

8wg8vm267dtc1.png

vm30j67a7dtc1.png

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
Y'know, given your requirements I'd suggest you go for the biggest an the best you can afford. I mean that holds true for everyone really, cost being the only limiting factor for some. I've never heard anyone complain that they had too much RAM (unified memory) or Storage or a processor that was too fast.
If it comes down to 512GB and 36GB RAM Vs. 1TB and 18GB RAM based on your usage I think I'd suggest the 36GB RAM but 512GB can fill up pretty fast. Ideally 1TB and 36GB RAM would be best.
My wife just got a new 15" MBA 1TB and 16GB RAM because her last MBP was only 512. She does a lot of photography but doesn't need the processing power, just storage.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I know it's not what you're asking but I would very seriously consider silver, for one thing. Space Black is going to look tired and tatty in a few years or less. Each and every blemish will stand out like a sore thumb, particularly around the MagSafe and IO ports. It's inevitable. There's even reports of them coming chipped right out of the box. Silver looks great on the 14" so if it were my money I'd almost certainly choose that.

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
I know it's not what you're asking but I would very seriously consider silver, for one thing. Space Black is going to look tired and tatty in a few years or less. Each and every blemish will stand out like a sore thumb, particularly around the MagSafe and IO ports. It's inevitable. There's even reports of them coming chipped right out of the box. Silver looks great on the 14" so if it were my money I'd almost certainly choose that.
Thanks! I have noticed that on the black Macbook Airs

Reactions: Jim Lahey

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
Y'know, given your requirements I'd suggest you go for the biggest an the best you can afford. I mean that holds true for everyone really, cost being the only limiting factor for some. I've never heard anyone complain that they had too much RAM (unified memory) or Storage or a processor that was too fast.
If it comes down to 512GB and 36GB RAM Vs. 1TB and 18GB RAM based on your usage I think I'd suggest the 36GB RAM but 512GB can fill up pretty fast. Ideally 1TB and 36GB RAM would be best.
My wife just got a new 15" MBA 1TB and 16GB RAM because her last MBP was only 512. She does a lot of photography but doesn't need the processing power, just storage.
If I get both the Ram and SSD upgrade, I'm pushing $4KAUD... I do worry about not having enough SSD space in the long run.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
As painful as it is, I think running short on SSD space is a real problem with 512GB, particularly given the apps you want to run sound pretty storage heavy.

Gun to my head I would choose the 18GB / 1TB option as being the more balanced setup, but would really dig deep to try and get the RAM upgrade.

An advantage of 18GB/1TB is that it's a standard model for the 12 core CPU / 18 core GPU model so you might actually find a reseller offering a small discount - perhaps enough to get the beefier CPU/GPU for 'free'.

Reactions: gshocked

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Don't skimp on the RAM for your needs and desire for longevity. With modern Mac, you cannot add any later- it's now a "throw the whole computer out and replace" proposition.

If you have to sacrifice, do it with the SSD and then buy yourself a good-sized external with an expectation of very regularly using that external for your kinds of uses.

Now for the radical consideration: you didn't name (app) names (other than Blender) but if most of them run on PC, consider buying a good PC laptop to pair with your Mac desktop. Since there is robust competition for RAM & SSD outside of the walled garden, the very same budget would buy a LOT of PC. Use it when on the road and then your Mac when back at the office/home. You'll keep your dual-platform skills high, you'll have 100% Windows compatibility instead of whatever ARM Windows emulation can be for your uses, etc.

Most importantly, since you won't be facing 3X-5X higher pricing for commodity parts like RAM & SSD, you won't need to choose one to sacrifice due to price. I know this is a very different concept than exclusively considering "which MAC should I buy" but you could likely make this work very well for your uses and the hefty Apple premium would not be over-influencing the consideration.

I also have a Mac Studio and added a PC for full Windows compatibility. For what that Mac would have cost to upgrade the SSD alone to 8TB at Apple (many times market) pricing, I got an entire PC loaded with 10TB SSD and 32GB RAM and graphics card, etc. While I'm a long-term Apple everything guy, I keep giving the PC more and more traditionally Mac tasks to do... particularly where Power would trump PPW. Apps like CAD, etc in your list are apps that also benefit from Power vs. PPW. They also beg for fat RAM and Storage. You could get all that for probably less cost in the much more competitive world of PCs.

Where there is competition, there is great value for customers. Where there is no competition, there is great riches for the seller. "Think different."

Last edited:

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
As painful as it is, I think running short on SSD space is a real problem with 512GB, particularly given the apps you want to run sound pretty storage heavy.

Gun to my head I would choose the 18GB / 1TB option as being the more balanced setup, but would really dig deep to try and get the RAM upgrade.

An advantage of 18GB/1TB is that it's a standard model for the 12 core CPU / 18 core GPU model so you might actually find a reseller offering a small discount - perhaps enough to get the beefier CPU/GPU for 'free'.
Thank you! I think that's the direction that I'm going with

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
Hi, Do you have any photos of this?
I'm curious to see the damage 😂

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Hi, Do you have any photos of this?
I'm curious to see the damage 😂

Plenty of chat about it in this discussion thread. Some positive, some negative. There's some especially concerning pics on page 7 but of course we don't necessarily know the full story behind them. Personally I would steer well clear of Space Black. I actually don't even like it but that's subjective. It's probably mostly ok if you baby it but I think long term it's going to rub through on the contact points and IO ports. And of course one minor mishap and it's going to be chipped.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Re the space black issues...

I hope that in future product releases, Apple again offers space GREY.

It was a nice compromise... more "depth" than the silver... but fairly durable, as well.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
It’s much easier to access more storage in the future. Cloud services and external drives are cheap and easy, if maybe not as convenient as more internal. You know what’s even less convenient though? Having to buy a new computer because your RAM is limiting you.

More RAM > More internal storage, every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.