Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Hi everyone. I have my router and time capsule in the living room. The TC is connected to the router with Ethernet, and I then have multiple devices connected to the TC with Ethernet.

Problem is that it’s a mess of wires and I need to add even more. So I’d like to move the router into the home office but keep the TC in the living room. The router would then have some devices connected to it (Hue bridge, smart thermostat and such), and the TC would have other devices connected to it (PS4, soundbar, TV etc).

Just to be clear, both the router and the TC needs certain devices connected with Ethernet - but the two units themselves would connect with each other over WiFi since they’d be in different rooms.

Does anyone know if such a setup is possible? I gave it a try but couldn’t get it working, but maybe I just did something wrong.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
It can be done, but you need to consider WiFi implications.

First off, TC should be connected via ethernet to the router. It can "extend" the wireless network by connecting wireless to the router and accepting wireless connections from clients, but that cuts WiFi bandwidth in half. Two wireless access points too close to each other and they interfere causing all kinds of issues.

If the router WiFi is adequate, use it alone and leave Wireless off on the TC. if it is connected as a bridge, the ethernet ports on the TC will simply forward to the router over the WAN port connection to the router.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Thanks for the replies.

The reason I want to connect TV, soundbar and PS4 with Ethernet is that each of those devices have bad WiFi hardware / no 5ghz. So the PS4 and the TV gets super slow connection, and the Beam soundbar requires the 2.4ghz to control it, meaning I’d have to be on that network on my iPhone - which I refuse :)

Furthermore, my living room and my house entrance are in opposite corners of my home, and connection is bad near the entrance due to the distance. The home office is in the middle, so if I could have the router in there but still keep TC in living room to connect TV, PS4 and Beam with Ethernet, I think that would solve it - but it doesn’t sound quite ideal with the interference it’ll cause?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.