Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ddmallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Okay the title pretty much says it. I have an Imac G5 w/ isight and want to hook it up to a cinema projector to watch movies & TV. I know the video input is different on the G5's compared to the intels but is there an adaption cable or anything i can do?
Thanks.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
When you say "cinema projector," can you be more specific? Do you mean an LCD or DLP projector such as an InFocus or so on? If so, almost all of them support VGA, and yes, you can connect without problems.

Ddmallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Sorry, let me specify!

Im still researching projectors but im leaning towards DLP. What kind of connection is the video output on the Imac G5.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Im still researching projectors but im leaning towards DLP. What kind of connection is the video output on the Imac G5.

That would be VGA. Or technically mini-VGA. You will need an adaptor like this:

minidvudvi.jpg

If you don't already have one. $19 from Apple. You then plug a VGA cable into this plus (if you want) a 3.5mm stereo audio cable into the audio output. You can even get VGA cables with the audio cable integrated.

Finally, you will probably want Screen Spanning Doctor (free, and it's pretty safe...many, many people, including myself, have used it...I use it on an iMac G5 and an iBook G4). The iMac G5 did not support having two different things display on two different screens (Spanning); this program allows for that, since the video card in this computer is perfectly capable of doing it. Then the projector can show something different at a different resolution than what is shown on the main display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.