Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Generik777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
I'm wanting to install windows on my mac for various reasons but don't want it on my internal HDD. Is there any way to install and run it from an external HDD?

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Depends on your needs, but generally not using Boot Camp.

What are you trying to do with Windows?

B

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Mostly just gonna be using it for games and such.

Then you'll need to install it on your internal HDD. You're not going to be able to play games properly connected to the slow transfer speeds you'll be getting from the external HDD... unless it's a Thunderbolt HDD or something.

I'm assuming your Mac is a laptop?

Generik777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Then you'll need to install it on your internal HDD. You're not going to be able to play games properly connected to the slow transfer speeds you'll be getting from the external HDD... unless it's a Thunderbolt HDD or something.

I'm assuming your Mac is a laptop?

Yeah it's a MBP. This answers my question pretty well. Thanx

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Yeah it's a MBP. This answers my question pretty well. Thanx

What I can say though... is if you do in fact have an external HDD... I would make a back up of all your files before using Boot Camp. I... as well as others... have had random occurrences of the Windows partition nuking the Mac partition, making it unbootable. So in the event that this happens, you'll have a back up. I've only had this happen to me once, but it's better to be on the safe side of things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.