Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firemedicmark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Hello I have a 1st gen apple tv, can this be jailbroke?

When JB can I install VLC, to watch movies as I do using my iPad?

firemedicmark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
thank you

so how bout this guys?

When JB can I install VLC, to watch movies as I do using my iPad?

thank you :)

RealShinka

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
Hi, I.m new to the forums and I got here by searching the exact words as this thread is called.

I'm not particularly smart, but I have been able to jailbreak my iPad and iPhone by following instruction. Now I'm searching for a way to do the same for the Apple TV first generation - yet after searching all of the above links I cannot find a set of instructions to jailbreak it, only for the apple tv 2g, which is useless to me.

Does anyone know where exactly might I find a guide to jailbreak the apple tv 1st generation??

Thanks!!

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Does anyone know where exactly might I find a guide to jailbreak the apple tv 1st generation??

Thanks!!
The Apple TV Gen 1 hacks are obviously more mature and to be honest there is more you can do with it ... but it depends on your goals.

The patchsticks work fine and can allow you to add xbmc, perian, vlc etc to the existing os x system, or if you want to make it extremely lean and mean you can install linux on it and run xbmc and even add a larger hard drive and/or a Broadcom Crystal HD card to it which will allow you to play and output 1080p (which the atv2 is incapable of no matter how you hack it).

You really need to specify your desired goals for an atv 1 to get the correct setup you want as there is much more to choose from and more possibilites than there are for the atv 2.

RealShinka

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
To be honest I wasnt thinking that broad... :S I just thought of first jailbreaking it and then start poking it to see what I could do. Guess that wont work. Hmm.... I'll have to sit day an entire day and start looking around to see what I want and therefore what I need.

Thanks!!!

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Hi, I.m new to the forums and I got here by searching the exact words as this thread is called.

I'm not particularly smart, but I have been able to jailbreak my iPad and iPhone by following instruction. Now I'm searching for a way to do the same for the Apple TV first generation - yet after searching all of the above links I cannot find a set of instructions to jailbreak it, only for the apple tv 2g, which is useless to me.

Thanks!!

As balamw mentioned above, http://firecore.com/atvflash is one option, and the one I have used for the past couple/several years and highly recommend. It's so incredibly easy to use and works a treat. I went the "take-hard-drive-out-of-the-case-to-jailbreak-it-v1" route, but this is definitely the much better solution, just a USB key and voila it's installed and up and running. Check it out.

Woolant

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
As balamw mentioned above, http://firecore.com/atvflash is one option, and the one I have used for the past couple/several years and highly recommend. It's so incredibly easy to use and works a treat. I went the "take-hard-drive-out-of-the-case-to-jailbreak-it-v1" route, but this is definitely the much better solution, just a USB key and voila it's installed and up and running. Check it out.

Hi Folks
I have a question relating to the first Gen Apple TV, I have manged to Jailbreak mine and install XMBC, Boxee, Nito etc; I am not sure I needed al of these!!!! I am not that savy with apple systems.
For reasons I will not go into I would prefer not to run Itunes and stream via wifi; I would like to plug an external hard drive directly into the ATV unit. I am sure I saw a thread sometime ago which said this was possible, however I have trawled the internet for ages and not found much info on this subject; probably because the Gen 1 is so old now. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Hi Folks
I have a question relating to the first Gen Apple TV, I have manged to Jailbreak mine and install XMBC, Boxee, Nito etc; I am not sure I needed al of these!!!! I am not that savy with apple systems.
For reasons I will not go into I would prefer not to run Itunes and stream via wifi; I would like to plug an external hard drive directly into the ATV unit. I am sure I saw a thread sometime ago which said this was possible, however I have trawled the internet for ages and not found much info on this subject; probably because the Gen 1 is so old now. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Either crystalbuntu OR atvcloner http://dynaflashtech.net/

both work with a usb drive attached, and with a chd chip... totally kills an atv 2.

Afe16rugby

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Dynaflash, (stupid autocorrect)
I want to make my atv 1 lean and mean. I am l

----------

Dynaflash,
I want to make my atv 1 lean and mean. I am looking for that information you mentioned about the HD and making it 1080 output. Any leads would be appreciated??? Thank you very much.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Dynaflash, (stupid autocorrect)
I want to make my atv 1 lean and mean. I am l

----------

Dynaflash,
I want to make my atv 1 lean and mean. I am looking for that information you mentioned about the HD and making it 1080 output. Any leads would be appreciated??? Thank you very much.

Try here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16755224&posted=1#post16755224

Someone asked the same question in my feeler thread, I wrote out some useful info on jailbreaking the unit as I used mine (use a Mac Mini as my HTPC now) with a Synology DS212j and have a ton of large 1080P DTS encodes. I have links to the Broadcom HD card you would need to mod the AppleTV for 1080P support (now sells online for $10 with instructions). Good luck! :)

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Here in 2023 using my 1st gen Apple TV to watch movies on a big old CRT (running at 480p over component cables) and your advice is still solid!!!

I was hopeful about some of the Linux-based solutions but they all led to dead ends because they're not designed to work with 480p out of the box (I'd tried lotsa tinkering with config files and got nowhere... fine with HDMI but not my setup).

Your solution is awesome because you get to keep the original Apple software and just add a few things to it. LOVE IT! Thanks for the suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.