Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I currently have a Mac mini late 2014 base model machine and it has been working well. I have ordered a 2017 MacBook Pro 14,1 and it will be here in a couple days. I was expecting to set the MacBook Pro up manually but I was wondering if there is a way to migrate system settings and app settings over from my Mac mini to reduce setup time on the MBP.

1. There are some apps on the Mac mini that I don't want on the MBP
2. The Mac mini has 500GB HDD, the MBP has 256GB SSD

Would this be beneficial or am I asking for trouble?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
The amount of storage capacity you have isn't relevant I don't think, but the amount of storage that you're using is relevant. Regardless, I don't think you'll be able to restore across such different systems even if you had the space, but certainly you can just use Migration Assistant to move your user profile and settings over from one machine to the next.

When you get the new Pro you can do it when you first open it up, or you can test it and play around with it first, and then migrate at a later date by opening Migration Assistant from macOS directly.

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
The amount of storage capacity you have isn't relevant I don't think, but the amount of storage that you're using is relevant. Regardless, I don't think you'll be able to restore across such different systems even if you had the space, but certainly you can just use Migration Assistant to move your user profile and settings over from one machine to the next.

When you get the new Pro you can do it when you first open it up, or you can test it and play around with it first, and then migrate at a later date by opening Migration Assistant from macOS directly.
Just tried running Migration Assistant.. I always thought that was for migrating from a Windows machine to a Mac, I'm glad I was wrong about that. I'll have to try Migration Assistant tomorrow and see how it goes. Thank you!

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Just FYI, MA is a bit all or nothing. You can choose to migrate apps, or not, but you can't choose which ones.
Ah, thank you for that.. I'll have to think about removing some apps on the MM before migrating to the MBP.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have the solution to your problems.
Gonna take a few minutes to prepare the post.
Check back later.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OK, the problem is you have a Mini with a 500gb drive, and you need to "slim down" the contents and then migrate "your stuff" to a 256mb MBP drive.

So... you've got to "throw a bunch of stuff out" before the migration begins.
This will be a LONG post.
I suggest you PRINT THIS OUT and keep it for reference.
CHECK OFF each step as you go along.

You're going to need an EXTERNAL drive (can be 500gb or larger, doesn't matter.
You're going to need CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (either can be downloaded for free and used for 30 days).

What to do first:
1. Connect the external drive to the Mini
2. Open Disk Utility and ERASE IT to "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled"
3. When done, quit DU and open CCC
4. If you've never used CCC before, it is simple to use. Put the "source" (the internal drive) on the left. Put the "target" (external drive) on the right. Accept all the default settings, then click "clone" and "let 'er go". It will take a while, so be patient.

Now that you have a bootable cloned backup, you need to do this:
1. Power down, all the way off
2. Press the power-on button and IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears
3. Select the EXTERNAL drive with the pointer and hit return.
4. Do you get booted up? OK, it's going to look EXACTLY like the internal drive looks, so go to "About this Mac" and check to see that you are indeed booted from the external drive.

Now it's time to start "pruning".
1. Download "AppCleaner" from here:
https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/
2. It should work fine if just "left on the desktop".
3. Open AppCleaner -- very simple to use
4. Now, open your applications folder so it's visible in the finder
5. Find the icon for the first app you want to get rid of. Drag 'n' drop it into the AppCleaner window.
6. AppCleaner will "look around" for all files associated with that app, present them in its window with a "remove" button
7. Click the remove button and everything is moved into the trash.
8. Empty the trash.
9. REPEAT with each app you want to get rid of

What you also should do is, from time to time do a "get info" on the icon for the external drive. What you're watching is the "Used" number -- you want to see the amount of gb used "drop down" as you remove apps.
Since your MBP drive is 256gb (actual space available for storage will be a little smaller), I would suggest that you "prune down" the size of the drive to about 200-220gb, so that plenty of space is left for "temp" and "swap" files and for a little "future growth".

So... you may need to remove more than "just apps" to "make room".
The goal here is to use the external drive to create a trimmed-down fascimile of your old drive that you can migrate all at once.

Once you've got this done, it's time to move on to the actual migration.
But that's a whole 'nuther thing... ;)
[doublepost=1546445431][/doublepost]OP wrote:
"Actually Migration Assistant will do what I need."

Will it?

With a NEW Mac, you don't want to use "Migration Assistant" (per se).
You want to use the "Setup Assistant" as you first set up the Mac.

If you set up the new Mac first, and then try to run Migration Assistant later, you -may- have problems if you also try to bring over your (older) account.
You'll end up with TWO accounts, and trying to "merge them together" could cause difficulties, particularly with permissions.

Hmmm... I know Migration Assistant (and Setup Assistant) will migrate apps, but does it let you "pick and choose" individual apps to migrate or "leave behind"?
Seems to me it didn't offer this option the last time I used it (but that was a while ago).

Last edited:

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
OK, the problem is you have a Mini with a 500gb drive, and you need to "slim down" the contents and then migrate "your stuff" to a 256mb MBP drive.

So... you've got to "throw a bunch of stuff out" before the migration begins.
This will be a LONG post.
I suggest you PRINT THIS OUT and keep it for reference.
CHECK OFF each step as you go along.

You're going to need an EXTERNAL drive (can be 500gb or larger, doesn't matter.
You're going to need CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (either can be downloaded for free and used for 30 days).

What to do first:
1. Connect the external drive to the Mini
2. Open Disk Utility and ERASE IT to "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled"
3. When done, quit DU and open CCC
4. If you've never used CCC before, it is simple to use. Put the "source" (the internal drive) on the left. Put the "target" (external drive) on the right. Accept all the default settings, then click "clone" and "let 'er go". It will take a while, so be patient.

Now that you have a bootable cloned backup, you need to do this:
1. Power down, all the way off
2. Press the power-on button and IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears
3. Select the EXTERNAL drive with the pointer and hit return.
4. Do you get booted up? OK, it's going to look EXACTLY like the internal drive looks, so go to "About this Mac" and check to see that you are indeed booted from the external drive.

Now it's time to start "pruning".
1. Download "AppCleaner" from here:
https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/
2. It should work fine if just "left on the desktop".
3. Open AppCleaner -- very simple to use
4. Now, open your applications folder so it's visible in the finder
5. Find the icon for the first app you want to get rid of. Drag 'n' drop it into the AppCleaner window.
6. AppCleaner will "look around" for all files associated with that app, present them in its window with a "remove" button
7. Click the remove button and everything is moved into the trash.
8. Empty the trash.
9. REPEAT with each app you want to get rid of

What you also should do is, from time to time do a "get info" on the icon for the external drive. What you're watching is the "Used" number -- you want to see the amount of gb used "drop down" as you remove apps.
Since your MBP drive is 256gb (actual space available for storage will be a little smaller), I would suggest that you "prune down" the size of the drive to about 200-220gb, so that plenty of space is left for "temp" and "swap" files and for a little "future growth".

So... you may need to remove more than "just apps" to "make room".
The goal here is to use the external drive to create a trimmed-down fascimile of your old drive that you can migrate all at once.

Once you've got this done, it's time to move on to the actual migration.
But that's a whole 'nuther thing... ;)
[doublepost=1546445431][/doublepost]OP wrote:
"Actually Migration Assistant will do what I need."

Will it?

With a NEW Mac, you don't want to use "Migration Assistant" (per se).
You want to use the "Setup Assistant" as you first set up the Mac.

If you set up the new Mac first, and then try to run Migration Assistant later, you -may- have problems if you also try to bring over your (older) account.
You'll end up with TWO accounts, and trying to "merge them together" could cause difficulties, particularly with permissions.

Hmmm... I know Migration Assistant (and Setup Assistant) will migrate apps, but does it let you "pick and choose" individual apps to migrate or "leave behind"?
Seems to me it didn't offer this option the last time I used it (but that was a while ago).
Repeat after me, because this is important..

I will not use third-party offerings when currently installed offerings, or good old manual labor and time, will get the job done.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Ok, the Mac took about 20 minutes to set up after downloading and installing Mojave. I chose to do most of it manually because I was bored. Everything went well and I'm having fun on my new MacBook Pro.

Thank you to everyone who replied here.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
i prefer installing new machines fresh.
it's sort of a ritual.

Me too. Over time a lot of cruf builds; programs you tried once and never used again; files you downloaded and forgot to delete; old data; etc. A new machine is a perfect way to do a little Spring cleaning.

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I still cannot believe how beautiful this display is and how fast the laptop is. All I've ever had was a 2014 base model Mac mini and a 1080p monitor.

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.