Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
This will probably come under the banner of "stupidest questions ever asked" but I'm going to ask it anyway.

I've never bought an iPhone at launch, I've always upgraded when I feel I need to and this has never been in September when the new devices come out.

I currently have an iPhone 6s Plus. It's been a great phone, and with a new battery early in 2018 it gave it a new lease of life, however I know I'll be ready to upgrade to something new come this September.

And yes I know this year looks to be a huge disappointment and the big updates are all coming next year. Bla, bla bla. I know that, however it'll still be a massive leap up for me so I'm doing it anyway!!

My question is that I'd like to trade in my current phone so if you order a brand new phone on day 1 in September and book it for collection from an Apple Store on launch day, can you take your existing phone with you and trade it in? Or doesn't it work like that? And yes, I should know but I don't.

One other small unrelated question. I'm a business customer so when I've bought some items from Apple (such as my iMac Pro) they gave me a discount. So is it worth phoning Apple business when the new phones are ready to order and trying to get a discount off them? Do they do that on day 1? And can I still trade in my existing phone at the Store if I do this?

So many questions. I just want to make sure I can get a new iPhone in September, trade in my old one and hopefully get a few quid off!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I'm pretty certain that you can pre-order and once you book it for collection, take your iPhone 6s Plus with you for trade in. Depending on the store and how the process this, they can either credit you back the trade in value back into your card or they can put it on the gift card. I've given them my debit card so I had no issue with them crediting me back the trade in value back into my debit card.

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I'm pretty certain that you can pre-order and once you book it for collection, take your iPhone 6s Plus with you for trade in. Depending on the store and how the process this, they can either credit you back the trade in value back into your card or they can put it on the gift card. I've given them my debit card so I had no issue with them crediting me back the trade in value back into my debit card.
Yea I read if you do full retail, they put the trade in value on your card. If you do iPhone Upgrade with installments, they will credit your card for the taxes and give the remainder to you as a gift card.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Yea I read if you do full retail, they put the trade in value on your card. If you do iPhone Upgrade with installments, they will credit your card for the taxes and give the remainder to you as a gift card.

Thanks for the info. I'd be purchasing as full retail. I'm in the UK so there's always a chance it'll be different on this side of the pond, however from the responses from yourself and @Shadowbech I'm hopeful that it can be done!

Thanks for your help.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Thanks for the info. I'd be purchasing as full retail. I'm in the UK so there's always a chance it'll be different on this side of the pond, however from the responses from yourself and @Shadowbech I'm hopeful that it can be done!

Thanks for your help.

Pretty sure over here you can't just take the phone into Apple to trade-in. I looked at trading-in my iPhone 6s for an iPhone Xs and in at the basket stage it said that I had to send my phone out to be looked at before they would credit me the value.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/trade-in

Apple Store Gift Card or Refund on Purchase...

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Last time I checked with Apple here in Canada. I will have to return the phone, then do the trade in, then buy the same phone again. They won’t refund the differences
[doublepost=1564627764][/doublepost]
You’d be way better off selling it yourself on Swappa. You can get quite a bit more for it.

Not everyone is willing to sell it to total stranger. There are no lack of incidents where buyer just run away with phone or robbed the buyer.

I am not willing to go with that risk.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Last time I checked with Apple here in Canada. I will have to return the phone, then do the trade in, then buy the same phone again. They won’t refund the differences
[doublepost=1564627764][/doublepost]

Not everyone is willing to sell it to total stranger. There are no lack of incidents where buyer just run away with phone or robbed the buyer.

I am not willing to go with that risk.
Swappa is a marketplace where you can buy/sell devices and you would ship it to the buyer. I’ve bought and sold quite a few and it’s an excellent way to get a good price for used iDevices. You’re talking about Craigslist, the risk is overblown, but it’s a pain and people there tend to be really flaky and you can't get as good a price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.