Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
I want to keep my phone in Do Not Disturb (DND) mode most of the time to support my sanity and productivity. I know that it's possible to allow calls from certain contacts while in DND mode. But I don't see a setting to allow text message notifications from selected contacts, which would be great. Is there a way to do this?

Reactions: JupoDupo

NoGood@Usernames

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2020
United States
Yep! You can do this by going to Contacts, selecting the contact you would like notifications for, hitting edit, scrolling down to “Text Tone” and enabling the Emergency Bypass setting. This will allow that contact to break through DND, and the bypass can be set independently per contact for both text and call sounds. So you can choose who can get through DND and how (just calls, just messages, or both).

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
No problem, glad I could help! ?
One question. I know you can create a group in contacts and then assign that group in DND preferences to be able to break through with a phone call. How do settings on individual contacts (that I set by editing as you describe above) interact with the group settings?

For example, say I have DND set up to allow calls from Favorites. If I have also edited an individual contact that is not in my Favorites group to allow calls during DND, I'm assuming that I'll get calls from both Favorites and any individual contacts I've edited?

NoGood@Usernames

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2020
United States

For example, say I have DND set up to allow calls from Favorites. If I have also edited an individual contact that is not in my Favorites group to allow calls during DND, I'm assuming that I'll get calls from both Favorites and any individual contacts I've edited?
While I haven’t tested it myself, it should work just as you describe. If you have favorites set to break through DND, those individuals will still break through for calls (but not messages) just as they always have, along with anyone else outside that group that you enable the emergency bypass for under “Ringtone” in their contact.

noSpeed

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Yep! You can do this by going to Contacts, selecting the contact you would like notifications for, hitting edit, scrolling down to “Text Tone” and enabling the Emergency Bypass setting. This will allow that contact to break through DND, and the bypass can be set independently per contact for both text and call sounds. So you can choose who can get through DND and how (just calls, just messages, or both).
That feature is certainly well hidden. Thanks for sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.