Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwills341

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2014
There is a folder in Downloads labeled "calibre-2.16.0" In it is a folder labeled Applications, but with the little arrow that indicates it's an alias. It appears to duplicate the actual Applications tab in finder.
Can I safely remove this? I have no clue where it came from.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
an alias is just a pointer to something else, it has no content of it's own. if you're sure it's an alias, you can delete it.

kwills341

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2014
an alias is just a pointer to something else, it has no content of it's own. if you're sure it's an alias, you can delete it.

How can I verify it's an alias? I don't want to delete anything critical.
Thank you!!

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Right click on the item and select Get Info. If the Kind is Alias, it is alias. Panel will even tell you, where the original is.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The arrow on the file icon would indicate that it is an alias. You can also select that file, then Command-I (get info) on that file, which should also show that it is an alias.
Do you want to remove that alias file? Drag it to the trash.

(don't get too nervous about thinking that is your Applications. It's just an alias, a link, to the designated folder, and not the actual folder itself. If you want to remove the alias, just drag it to the trash - and empty the trash. It's gone.)

Why was that alias there in the first place? The "calibre-2.16.0" sounds like a download app. Many of those are the app, with maybe another file, in the same folder. One of those files will be labled "Applications", and is an alias like the one that you are asking about. That alias is simply used to install that app, as you drag the app to that alias, and it links to the folder (Applications, in this case), and by dragging the app to that alias, it automatically copies to the correct folder, Applications. Its only use is to install that app, after that you can remove it.
Deleting-removing the alias does NOT affect anything, except the alias file itself. 'tis just a link...

kwills341

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2014
Right click on the item and select Get Info. If the Kind is Alias, it is alias. Panel will even tell you, where the original is.

Kind: Alias

Thank you!!
[doublepost=1567391705][/doublepost]
The arrow on the file icon would indicate that it is an alias. You can also select that file, then Command-I (get info) on that file, which should also show that it is an alias.
Do you want to remove that alias file? Drag it to the trash.

(don't get too nervous about thinking that is your Applications. It's just an alias, a link, to the designated folder, and not the actual folder itself. If you want to remove the alias, just drag it to the trash - and empty the trash. It's gone.)

Why was that alias there in the first place? The "calibre-2.16.0" sounds like a download app. Many of those are the app, with maybe another file, in the same folder. One of those files will be labled "Applications", and is an alias like the one that you are asking about. That alias is simply used to install that app, as you drag the app to that alias, and it links to the folder (Applications, in this case), and by dragging the app to that alias, it automatically copies to the correct folder, Applications. Its only use is to install that app, after that you can remove it.
Deleting-removing the alias does NOT affect anything, except the alias file itself. 'tis just a link...

I have no idea how or why an Applications alias file ended up there.
Calibre is a document formatting app I've used for years.

Thank you for the explanation...I feel safe in deleting folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.