Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I heard a click when I plugged my mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15's charger (85 watt Magsafe w/ "L" style connector) into the wall socket and now the charger doesn't work. I might sell this MBP15 so is there anyway to fix the charger or will I have to buy a new one?

Thanks

P.S. The MBP15 works fine and so does the AC wall socket.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Since I think they're virtually impossible to open without cosmetically damaging it, and since there's no real serviceable parts inside, you might just be stuck getting a new one. If you want to do it on the cheap, find a used one on eBay or someplace. Just watch for counterfeit ones.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Your best option would be to replace the adapter instead of trying to repair it. If you aren't careful or a tool you're using slips at the wrong time, you could hit a charged capacitor and cause serious harm to yourself, let alone the power brick.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I heard a click when I plugged my mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15's charger (85 watt Magsafe w/ "L" style connector) into the wall socket and now the charger doesn't work. I might sell this MBP15 so is there anyway to fix the charger or will I have to buy a new one?

Thanks

P.S. The MBP15 works fine and so does the AC wall socket.
These chargers are plastic welded together and are effectively impossible to open in a nondestructive manner. You should just replace it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Like the others said -- repairs almost impossible, time for a replacement.
I'd try Other World Computing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.