Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Hello,

Does any one know if I can replace my "UK" layout top-case of "MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)" with a 2016 "US" layout that I want to buy from ebay?

Also is it possible to replace the top case with a 2018 model?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

myret

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2018
It is a really tedious work. If you trust yourself and if there is a guideline+equipment, go ahead. You can change into different language keyboards. However, you cannot change with 2018 model due to difference in internals.

Reactions: macpot

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
giphy.gif

The UK keyboard is heroic! That beautiful fat Enter key instead of the spindly beady-eyed US Enter key. Plus it still has the dollar sign on the number 4 if you need to cite those Monopoly dollars rather than the majesty of the glorious British sterling.

macpot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
It is a really tedious work. If you trust yourself and if there is a guideline+equipment, go ahead. You can change into different language keyboards. However, you cannot change with 2018 model due to difference in internals.

Thank you very much, I'll order a US top case then, is it at least possible to first change the 2016 keyboard on the "New" top case, with a 2018 keyboard, and then replace the top cases? or the keyboards don't match

The UK keyboard is heroic! That beautiful fat Enter key instead of the spindly beady-eyed US Enter key. Plus it still has the dollar sign on the number 4 if you need to cite those Monopoly dollars rather than the majesty of the glorious British sterling.

Because of `~ key, it's in a bad position for me, I'd rather not have the ±§ key and put ~` there

Also my battery holds less than half of when it was new, and keyboard isn't functioning well, so I'm going to order a topcase and rather get a US one now

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Thank you very much, I'll order a US top case then, is it at least possible to first change the 2016 keyboard on the "New" top case, with a 2018 keyboard, and then replace the top cases? or the keyboards don't match

Because of `~ key, it's in a bad position for me, I'd rather not have the ±§ key and put ~` there

Also my battery holds less than half of when it was new, and keyboard isn't functioning well, so I'm going to order a topcase and rather get a US one now
Why not just swap the two keys around and remap them with something like Karabiner? I think it would be a lot easier than a whole top case replacement.

If your keyboard isn’t working well, take it to Apple. They will replace the top case (and battery) under the keyboard replacement programme.

Reactions: robotica and macpot

macpot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Why not just swap the two keys around and remap them with something like Karabiner? I think it would be a lot easier than a whole top case replacement.

If your keyboard isn’t working well, take it to Apple. They will replace the top case (and battery) under the keyboard replacement programme.

Once I tried to open the Space Key to blow air under it, but I broke the hinge under it
Also I started swapping multiple keyboard keys before the program (please see the image)

I don't think if they will do anything for free in my case because of the changes I've done, and since I'm changing the topcase, I wondered if I can swap it with a US while I'm at it...

The space key hinge is broken on one side, it's holding there using some two sided tape
VVtJR.jpg

P.S. Is it possible to put a 2018 keyboard in a 2016 topcase to lower the noise?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Once I tried to open the Space Key to blow air under it, but I broke the hinge under it
Also I started swapping multiple keyboard keys before the program (please see the image)

I don't think if they will do anything for free in my case because of the changes I've done, and since I'm changing the topcase, I wondered if I can swap it with a US while I'm at it...

The space key hinge is broken on one side, it's holding there using some two sided tape
VVtJR.jpg

P.S. Is it possible to put a 2018 keyboard in a 2016 topcase to lower the noise?
Fair enough - that's certainly a... unique layout!

I don't see why a US top case of the same generation wouldn't fit, but looking at the iFixit teardowns I think the 2018 keyboard is just a bit too different to fit in a 2016 top case. No real evidence to prove that claim, but I presume if it were possible, somebody would have already tried it by now.

Reactions: macpot

macpot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Fair enough - that's certainly a... unique layout!

I don't see why a US top case of the same generation wouldn't fit, but looking at the iFixit teardowns I think the 2018 keyboard is just a bit too different to fit in a 2016 top case. No real evidence to prove that claim, but I presume if it were possible, somebody would have already tried it by now.

Thank you very much for the extra info,
Then I guess I'll search every where to see if any one has ever done this (swapping a 2016 keyboard with a 2018).
Hopefully it's possible, as 2018 models are waaay quieter...

myret

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2018

Keyboards do not match. Therefore, you cannot put the new one to the old one.

baldvinhlynsson

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2021
Hey @macpot - did you ever finish this? I'm wondering about the same thing. If I can replace the top case of the a1707 2016 macbook pro from EU to US :)

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Hey @macpot - did you ever finish this? I'm wondering about the same thing. If I can replace the top case of the a1707 2016 macbook pro from EU to US :)
Yes, it is possible to do within the same type of MBP. For example, A1707 2016/2017.
I've done it before when I wanted to switch from an A1707 JIS keyboard (Japan) to a US keyboard topcase. (I've also done it on several other models as well.)

It is a very tedious though as you have to move EVERYTHING over. I would not recommend it for somebody inexperienced with on/in Macs.
Compared to the previous Unibody and Retina models, the 2016 and later models are harder to work on.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
That's only worth fixing if you can get the repair parts cheap and do it yourself (or have it done for cheaply).

Otherwise, probably time to figure on a replacement...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.