Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mghostsoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Redmond
Hi,

I configured a Hotmail account in Mail, and by default the option "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message" is selected. However, I didn't pay much attention on the options, until I noticed that my inbox is only a few mails left.

Is it possible to restore the downloaded mails back to the server? I seldom use a desktop software to manage my mails. Thank you!!

Last edited:

mghostsoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Redmond
I've tried a lot of methods, and finally I've found one works.

1. Install Thunderbird, and import mails from Mail.app.

2. Select all mails, then save to files. (Each mail for one file)

3. Rename all files in order to let Windows recognize. (Some characters such as " are illegal for file names in Windows)

4. Use Windows Live Mail on Windows, configure mail account, and drag all files into a folder.

5. Wait for sync.

b914

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
restore deleted hotmail emails

hi,

thanks for your post it is the best post/solution i've found for this problem, i have found it really helpful so far.

unfortunately i have encountered a couple of problems and wondering if u can help:

1. I have 5000+ emails that need to be saved and renamed (very time consuming) is there a better alternative?
2. Window Live Mail on Windows - would u be able to explain that in further detail. e.g from step 1. Thank you in advance!

look forward to your reply.

thanks

mghostsoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Redmond
Hi,

1. The names of files needn't to be meaningful, just to let them be legel in NTFS. The names can be "mail0001", "mail0002", etc. You can use some rename tools to do this. I use an app called "A Better Finder Rename", however it is not free. I believe there should be some free tools.

2. Windows Live Mail is a component of Windows Live Essentials, which can be downloaded at http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials. You need a computer running Windows to install this, or you can use virtual machine. Configuring Windows Live Hotmail account is quite straitforwards. Please refer to: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail-add-email-account-faq.

hi,

thanks for your post it is the best post/solution i've found for this problem, i have found it really helpful so far.

unfortunately i have encountered a couple of problems and wondering if u can help:

1. I have 5000+ emails that need to be saved and renamed (very time consuming) is there a better alternative?
2. Window Live Mail on Windows - would u be able to explain that in further detail. e.g from step 1. Thank you in advance!

look forward to your reply.

thanks

b914

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
restore deleted hotmail emails

hi,

i have tried it all, i am able to sync messages into windows live mail but they do not appear in my hotmail server. i would like to log onto any computer and access my hotmail just like before. but unfortunately the mail app deleted them off the server :(

mghostsoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Redmond
Hi,

How did you sync mails into Windows Live Mail? My method was drag the mail files into a folder in Live Mail window. If you have thousands of mails, it may takes several hours to complete syncing, and you can only see the process by checking the server side.

hi,

i have tried it all, i am able to sync messages into windows live mail but they do not appear in my hotmail server. i would like to log onto any computer and access my hotmail just like before. but unfortunately the mail app deleted them off the server :(

b914

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
restore hotmail inbox

hi,

i woke up this morning and found that some messages have synced back to the server. great to see it working, hopefully it will restore my 5000 + emails.

once again thanks for your help.

cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.