Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Apologies if this question has been answered. I've searched but the answers I've found are confusing and always seem to be centered around Windows 11, which I'd rather never have to buy or use.

I have a regular Windows 10 install on VM Fusion that I've had for five years or so.

My question is if I restore my Mac (the Windows 10 VM, in particular) to a new Apple Silicon-based computer, will Windows 10 still run or do I need to download, pay, and install an "Arm-based" version?

Thanks so much in advance,

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
I'm not sure if you can restore a backup from a Intel Mac to a AS based one. If you could, Fusion wouldn't be able to run the original Windows 10 VM. VMware Fusion and Parallels are all hypervisors. They don't emulate the CPU instructions.

The only option is to create a new VM and install Windows 11 on arm. Make sure you are using VMware Fusion 13.x. I'm currently using Fusion 13.5 Pro on a MBP 16 with M1 Pro.

Reactions: Mork

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Neither VMware Fusion nor Parallels Desktop are able to run Intel Windows on Apple Silicon. You need to migrate your install to ARM64. It will be hard to find a Windows 10 installer, Windows 11 is all that is out there.
UTM and Qemu can run Intel under emulation, but I found them to be unusably slow even on a Mac Studio!

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Sorry, I was asking if the Windows 10 VM file itself would run on Apple silicon -- using VM FUSION, of course.

Thanks

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Sorry, I was asking if the Windows 10 VM file itself would run on Apple silicon -- using VM FUSION, of course.

Thanks
No, your old installation was from Intel, and you cannot run that on an Apple Silicon Mac in VMware Fusion.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Here's the thing...I thought that VM FUSION would "virtualize" the VM file, but I guess what you're saying is that the VM file is Intel under the covers so it can' be virtualized to run on Silicon. So, my only way forward is to install IMHO, the awful, privacy invading, Windows 11? Yuck. I may just buy a separate cheap Windows PC for the one program I need to run. :(

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
So, my only way forward is to install IMHO, the awful, privacy invading, Windows 11? Yuck.
If you run it on the new Mac, yep. It runs better than the Windows 10 on Arm version by far anyway, you'd be missing out on a lot.

Other options are a separate PC like you said, or a cloud PC. (a cloud PC is not cost effective for individuals usually)

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
If you run it on the new Mac, yep. It runs better than the Windows 10 on Arm version by far anyway, you'd be missing out on a lot.

Other options are a separate PC like you said, or a cloud PC. (a cloud PC is not cost effective for individuals usually)
Thanks. I appreciate your reply and the other helpful replies also. :)

Reactions: bobcomer

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Here's the thing...I thought that VM FUSION would "virtualize" the VM file, but I guess what you're saying is that the VM file is Intel under the covers so it can' be virtualized to run on Silicon. So, my only way forward is to install IMHO, the awful, privacy invading, Windows 11? Yuck. I may just buy a separate cheap Windows PC for the one program I need to run. :(
Virtualization just uses the built in hardware to run an additional operating system, but it must be the same sort of hardware. So, Fusion runs Intel Windows on an Intel Mac, but runs arm64 Windows on Apple Silicon Macs. What you'd be looking for is emulation, and that brings a substantial performance penalty.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I remember installing Windows 10 ARM on M1, but now CrystalFetch says: “This build does not work for virtualization on Apple Silicon.” and the installation does indeed fail with a blue screen.
CrystalFetch.jpg
CrystalFetch ISO Downloader
https://apps.apple.com/app/id6454431289
https://github.com/TuringSoftware/CrystalFetch

Flynnsworth

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
So, my only way forward is to install IMHO, the awful, privacy invading, Windows 11? Yuck. I may just buy a separate cheap Windows PC for the one program I need to run. :(
I'd recommend purchasing a Windows 11 Pro OEM key for approx £10

I'd also recommend O&O ShutUp10++ which is a free antispy tool for Windows 10 and 11. A good starting point is to select Actions > Apply only recommended settings.

And finally, I'd recommend the free and lightweight ARM64 version of simplewall for your firewall needs. Once you have enabled your filters, it will block all inbound and outbound traffic and seek your instruction on a per app basis.

Add to this a good look through your Windows Settings, particularly under the 'Privacy & security' tab, and you are good to go.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
The virtual machine is still using your computers hardware, so virtual or not, you need an ARM version of Windows 11. It is not a bad thing, I run Windows 11 ARM in Parallels on my M1 Max. Box runs it on an M3 Pro and runs great. I have only come across one obscure app that would not load. I am sure there are more, but one of the reasons I installed Windows as a VM was to run a piece of software we used to need, the software was about 20 + years old and ran flawlessly on ARM, so I would not dismiss Windows 11 ARM, I am sure someone would be happy to test and install file for the software you want to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.