Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I don’t have a HomeKit device, yet, other than an Apple TV 4. I am wondering, though, if I get HomeKit enabled power outlets (some of which require a separate hub, I am aware), will I be able to set a schedule my Christmas lights to go on and off at specified times?

I am eying the IKEA Trådfri plug ($9.95, not yet HomeKit-compatible), which requires the Trådfri gateway ($29.99). The latter now is HomeKit-compatible, and I have found instructions for getting older ones to play nice with HomeKit.

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
You can makes automation schedules in HomeKit but even without you can use the dedicated apps for the manufacturer of the product

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I suggest a Wemo Smart Plug instead, this will work perfect for what you want it to do. They are HomeKit compatible and you do not need any extra equipment to get it to work.

Reactions: gwhizkids

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I suggest a Wemo Smart Plug instead, this will work perfect for what you want it to do. They are HomeKit compatible and you do not need any extra equipment to get it to work.
I am in the market for at least seven smart plugs. That would be $175, if I got the Wemo Smart Plug, but only $100 if I got Trådfri plugs and a gateway.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Is the reason you wish to automate to save electricity/money or a safety issue? If you are purchasing these devices just to automate your lights and never use them for other functions, and assuming your lighting is LED, you will never save the cost of the units.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Is the reason you wish to automate to save electricity/money or a safety issue? If you are purchasing these devices just to automate your lights and never use them for other functions, and assuming your lighting is LED, you will never save the cost of the units.

Very true, OP could just get those cheap plug in timers. However after the holiday season you can use them somewhere else and "play" with them using other automations.

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I got TP-link smart plug thingy last year; it cost more than an old school timer but it’s more convenient (some nights I want the lights on later) and I can use it for other stuff. It’s not HomeKit compatible but there’s a good app so that really doesn’t worry me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.