Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KikoKuso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2023
Hello. I have recently upgraded to a new laptop and I am looking for a way to transfer all the music I put on my ipod with the old laptop to my new laptop. However, when I plug in my ipod to my laptop and try to sync it, it just seems like it tries to delete all the music from my ipod and not add anything onto my PC. Is there a way to transfer my music and movies from my ipod to my PC?

KikoKuso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2023
More info/why I can't just log into itunes on my new laptop: I added the music on the ipod using rhythmbox on a linux laptop. None of the music on the ipod actually came from itunes.

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
There are programs that you can use to copy the music files from your iPod, or you can simply copy the files from the iPod_Control directory on your iPod. The latter method will give you files with randomized names, but you can re-organize them by dropping them into a new iTunes (or similar) library. The best/easiest method will depend what OS your new laptop is running.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
You have to move the music files into iTunes (Win10) or Apple Music (Win11) from your old laptop onto on your new PC. This is easy enough and Apple has support docs on how to do this.

Once you have your music loaded correctly on your PC, it will sync properly with your iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.