Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
I lost an android phone and I’m wondering if I can track it with just the IMEI number or serial number, as I have this info on the phones box. If so how do I do this? Thank you

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I lost an android phone and I’m wondering if I can track it with just the IMEI number or serial number, as I have this info on the phones box. If so how do I do this? Thank you
It's much easier than that. You'll need another Android device. Download the "FIND DEVICE" app from the Play Store. Sign in with the same Gmail account your lost phone is using. Then accept all the ALLOW permissions and it will locate the phone for you via GPS. It will then allow you to play a sound on the lost device, secure phone or erase the phone but the phone has to be ON for that to happen.

Reactions: ThatiPhoneKid

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
It's much easier than that. You'll need another Android device. Download the "FIND DEVICE" app from the Play Store. Sign in with the same Gmail account your lost phone is using. Then accept all the ALLOW permissions and it will locate the phone for you via GPS. It will then allow you to play a sound on the lost device, secure phone or erase the phone but the phone has to be ON for that to happen.

hi thank you for your reply, unfortunately I wasn’t signed in to gmail/google on this phone. Is there any other way? Thank you

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
hi thank you for your reply, unfortunately I wasn’t signed in to gmail/google on this phone. Is there any other way? Thank you
Your only hope is to contact the carrier, give them the IEMI number and request they shutdown that sim card. That doesn’t stop someone from using your phone by resetting it.

That’s why it’s always a good idea to assign it a Google account. The same goes with an iPhone, you always want to assign it an Apple account. Just for the added peace of mind when you lose your phone or it gets stolen. You then have options in making the device worthless to a would be thief.

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2019

No insurance that covers lost/stolen? Maybe credit card or something else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.