Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom2893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2012
United Kingdom
Do you think the airport boarding pass ticket will work at Gatwick or Heathrow properly?

Will it need wifi coverage that you need to pay for at the airport?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Do you think the airport boarding pass ticket will work at Gatwick or Heathrow properly?

No, Apple is out to steal your boarding passes, and starbucks gift cards for their own employees.

Do they have optical imagers?

Do you have 3G coverage there?

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN

Why not print out your boarding pass as a backup. If the PassBook doesn't scan correctly, then you have the paper copy. Either that, or we'll here on the news that you illegally tried to board a plane and are in jail. Just take one for the team this time... :D

Tom2893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2012
United Kingdom
No, Apple is out to steal your boarding passes, and starbucks gift cards for their own employees.

Do they have optical imagers?

Do you have 3G coverage there?

Im not on about Apple 'stealing' your passes :S just whether it will be reliable or not.. having an important ticket on your phone

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I just thought of an issue with Passbook and airline tickets. TSA agents will usually initial your boarding pass when you go thru security. How the hell are they going to do that in Passbook on your iPhone?

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I just thought of an issue with Passbook and airline tickets. TSA agents will usually initial your boarding pass when you go thru security. How the hell are they going to do that in Passbook on your iPhone?

There is a specific scanner at the first TSA stop. You scan your phone, it brings up your flight info and you hand them your ID. Easy peasy.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
:common sense:

You put your phone over their imager, it scans, they check your ID, you move on.

This exists already, and they are already doing it for some airlines.

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
I've used the Eurostar app to travel on Eurostar trains between England and France; their app works in a similar way to passbook, in that Boarding Passes for Stored Tickets are stored within the app, so no data connection is needed.

Simply wave your iPhone at the scanner by the gate, and you are in.

Simple, effective, and it "just works".

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Why not print out your boarding pass as a backup. If the PassBook doesn't scan correctly, then you have the paper copy. Either that, or we'll here on the news that you illegally tried to board a plane and are in jail. Just take one for the team this time... :D

This is a good idea, but I think it sort of defeats the purpose of Passbook! It's like saying what if my Starbucks card doesn't scan, so I'll carry my physical one around in my pocket as well just in case :p.

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
iv used apps that work like passbook for my airline tickets, and they have all worked fine. i jut make sure to load up my eticket at home.
scan it at the selfcheck out at the airport and it prints my tickets fine, sometimes i scan at the gate it self.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Not sure when I saw my last paper ticket ... Since 10 years I fly with only those eTickets: some code and passport. So even when Apples app not work just make sure you have this little code.

Paperless scanning even worked last year in Swiss Railway: I just showed my phone with the barcode from PDF and they scanned. For a printout they wanted 15 CHF :(. Crazy

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Just wanted to add that in the US, the paperless boarding pass has been around since 2008.

And from the link Menel provided above,
As of March 2012, the pilot was operating at 110 U.S. airports with nine airlines: Alaska, American, British Airways, Continental, Delta, Lufthansa, United, US Airways, and Virgin America.

Even though Passbook is new to iOS, mobile board passes have been around for years.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
:common sense:

You put your phone over their imager, it scans, they check your ID, you move on.

This exists already, and they are already doing it for some airlines.

Thanks for the smartass remarks.

There is a specific scanner at the first TSA stop. You scan your phone, it brings up your flight info and you hand them your ID. Easy peasy.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I've always been issued a paper boarding pass from the ticket counter.

*Calypso*

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Germany
Passbook works without internet connection once you stored a boarding pass. It's really not that complicated, basically just a convenient way of having all your barcode/QR-codes membership cards and tickets in one place.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Passbook works without internet connection once you stored a boarding pass. It's really not that complicated, basically just a convenient way of having all your barcode/QR-codes membership cards and tickets in one place.

What about updated Boarding times, gate changes etc? These would use data I suspect.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
im just wondering. does boarding time and gate change just before you checkin manually? or even a few minutes before boarding time.

the most that ever happened to me, is that the person behind the counter would tell me the change in time and gate if applicable, but i suppose it does considering where the thread is heading

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
What about updated Boarding times, gate changes etc? These would use data I suspect.

Those are two separate things. There are apps that will update your itinerary with things like time changes and gates. The boarding pass is just the electronic equivalent of a printed one - it will show whatever gate was planned at the time it was 'printed'.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Those are two separate things. There are apps that will update your itinerary with things like time changes and gates. The boarding pass is just the electronic equivalent of a printed one - it will show whatever gate was planned at the time it was 'printed'.

But Passbook uses the notification system itself. Not a third party app.

I think you're underestimating what Passbook will accomplish...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-HJy4zqgLQ

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Ah, that's cool. :)

I've been paperless for just over a year now, so currently most tickets get printed to PDF and then stored on my iPad/phone, but that will be a definite step forward.

Ben

I hope so! It seems like a great idea. Few more days and we will see :)

jimbobp2004

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012

they'll use a sharpie to draw on the screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.