Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznmacwiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
I have an iphone without iphone contract also without a data plan. I normally just use wifi. The problem is that it takes a while for the iphone to connect to wifi. So if i unlock the phone and go straight to email, it will use edge. Since i dont have a plan, it is going to cost a lot of money. Does anyone know how could i turn edge off?

thanks

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Services and NetServices worked great on earlier versions of the iPhone software, but I'm not sure they can turn edge off properly in 1.1.3/1.1.4. However, I found that by putting dummy info in the edge settings, this prevents me from accessing stuff via EDGE (I'm in the same situation with t-mobile but no data plan).

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Services and NetServices worked great on earlier versions of the iPhone software, but I'm not sure they can turn edge off properly in 1.1.3/1.1.4. However, I found that by putting dummy info in the edge settings, this prevents me from accessing stuff via EDGE (I'm in the same situation with t-mobile but no data plan).

T-Mobile data is $5 =\

aznmacwiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
if att's data plan is $5 i would get it in a heartbeat. After doing some research i found this program called boss pref. I guess it is the same thing as service. It turned my edge off nice and easy. Thanks for all the quick help guys:)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
if att's data plan is $5 i would get it in a heartbeat. After doing some research i found this program called boss pref. I guess it is the same thing as service. It turned my edge off nice and easy. Thanks for all the quick help guys:)

Yes boss pref works too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.