Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasdangit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
San Francisco, CA
I'm an Apple News+ subscriber and read The New York Times in the iOS and Mac News apps—but sometimes through my research, I'll run into a NYT.com link that pulls an old news story on the periodical's website. This is blocked with a paywall because I don't have a NYT subscription directly through NYT — but through Apple News+, I can access the NYT.

How can I get around this paywall? In the News app, I can go to the NYT "stream", but there's no search option, so I'd have to scroll past several years' worth of articles to find the one I'm looking for. On the website, I also can't find a "Open in News app" button at the top, so I'm unable to open the article directly in the News app to take advantage of my News+ subscription...so I'm stuck behind the paywall. And on the NYT website, when I hit the "Log In" button, there's no "Log in with Apple News+ Account" button either.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

thomasdangit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
San Francisco, CA
You are out of luck.
This all seems so clunky. Technically as a News+ subscriber, I *do* have access to "every" piece that NYT has digitized on its website, but just through the app. It's just a slog having to find that article in the News app when we often come across news pieces online through the browser...

thomasdangit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
San Francisco, CA
I found this online tutorial that mentioned an "Open in News app" button in the Share Sheet, but tried it on my iOS 16 device and that button just doesn't exist. I was able to add the "News" app extension to the Share Sheet (alongside Messages, Notes, Reminders, etc.) – but when clicking that, it kicked me to the News app indeed, but says "STORY UNAVAILABLE: This story is not available in Apple News."

1681080836736.png

I've tried several big-name periodicals (which are included with News)+ with various recent articles from 2022 and 2021 and no such luck. This is weird.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Not weird, it's just not what they claim. Content providers are really good at signing up with services like News+, and also really good at keeping their content off of them.

skinuca

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
New York City
Where are you that you have the NYT in Apple News? They pulled out of News and News+ 3 years back becasue they were loosing too much revenue.

thomasdangit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Where are you that you have the NYT in Apple News? They pulled out of News and News+ 3 years back becasue they were loosing too much revenue.
Whoops—I meant The New Yorker, not the Times. My bad!

Yeah, I remember when NYT pulled out in 2020 – that was one of the reasons why I'm such a late adopter of News+, since I knew I wouldn't get that.

skinuca

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
New York City
Not weird, it's just not what they claim. Content providers are really good at signing up with services like News+, and also really good at keeping their content off of them.
Perhaps, but not in this case. The NYT left Apple News a few years ago and pulled all of their content. The calculation they made was there was too much overlap in subscuibers between Apple News and the NYT and thus they lost revenue. The WSJ made the reverse calculation figuring that those that want/need the WSJ already pay and thus Apple News is incremental revenue and new eyeballs.

Reactions: pup

skinuca

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
New York City
Whoops—I meant The New Yorker, not the Times. My bad!

Yeah, I remember when NYT pulled out in 2020 – that was one of the reasons why I'm such a late adopter of News+, since I knew I wouldn't get that.
Aha, then not sure. The New Yorker may only keep more recent content avaliable in News as that is the baseline of what is required of them. Sorry :/

Reactions: NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
The New Yorker may only keep more recent content avaliable in News as that is the baseline of what is required of them.

Very true.

In the case of "The Wall Street Journal", they only put three days worth of curated articles in News+. So not everything in "WSJ" is in News+, and will run into same problem OP is running into: if have a link from website, will not be able to get to it via News+.

And this is a similar problem in reverse: can't share an article from News that points to the publisher's website, will share a link to News app when emailing link to someone.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Washington Post works with News+: you can use your WP credentials to unlock all the content. Wish NYT would let you do so as well.

Reactions: colodane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.